Question Need help swapping parts around 3070ti/12700k/ddr4

identical123

Mar 6, 2022
Needed a second opinion on this build from a lifelong gaming laptop user. I am not super well versed with the latest happenings in the PC world but I want to optimize for low noise and good thermals [ both of which are major gaming laptop pain points ]. Budget is flexible ~3.5k. Don't need RGB at all. Prefer a minimalistic look. I don't plan on overclocking ( don't think I need the K version of Intel's CPU ). Want to play heavily modded Skyrim, Cyberpunk 2077 maxed out etc.

I am not sure about the Motherboard choice. Seems it is a bit too flimsy from some of the reviews to withstand the cooler. Is there anything better

Do I need the mounting kit for the Noctua CPU cooler and is it the correct one.

Is the choice of the CPU cooler correct or should I swap it out for something else. I strongly prefer air CPU coolers and don't want to deal with any liquid solutions. I am wagering whether I should go with the NH-U12A instead of NH-D15.

How do I know if the CPU cooler fits into the case. The dimensions from the website are h = 165mm for the cooler and the case dimensions are 453 x 230 x 466 but I am not clear how much clearance from the edges etc is needed for the mobo .. I am also getting this warning at the bottom of the website ( Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders. )

Do I need extra case fans or is the CPU cooler + case enough. I plan on using both at the back of the case.

I play a lot of older games ( kotor, aoe etc ) and the 6TB hdd was for that. Don't know if I should get rid of this and swap it out for another 2TB SSD. I also don't know if SSD has any measurable speed difference for older games.

What other peripherals ( apart from keyboard and mouse ) would I need to buy to get the entire setup working? I know the GPU to Monitor HDMI ( output display ) cable is needed but I think this already comes with the monitor. Is the build all inclusive

Any other parts that I need to swap out. I am more or less set on 3070Ti / 12700 / DDR4. Anything else I am ok to change. For example I picked Gigabyte 3070 TI only because it was first. I am not sure how well Gigabyte is regarded around these parts and whether I should go for a different option for better warranty / customer service / longevity etc

Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2yN6sL

1. CPU: Intel 12700k

2. GPU: Gigabyte 3070ti

3. CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler

4. MOBO: Asus PRIME Z690-P WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

5. CASE: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
PCP does most of the hard work for you when it comes to fitting things together.

K will be the better bet or KF since you're aiming for a 3070.

You don't need to pay noctua prices for a good cooler. I went with a $45 cooler and it stands up to the 12700K with idle temps +5F and under load 130F/54C.

Here's my build - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bKYwGq

Look into the Meshify series if you want great airflow and mounts for other stuff. I took the cheap air cooler and paired it with a graphite pad instead of paste and Arctic P12 PST PWM fans in push/pull on it. 3 x 140 on the front, 2 x 140 on top, and another 140 on the rear. It's silent even under load and the temps say the rest.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
You should check manufacturer's website for more specs. From the Corsair site, the max CPU cooler height that case supports is 170mm, so your cooler is fine. I know a U14S can cool an o/c 10700K, so something like that should be absolutely fine for a 12700k if you don't o/c it. Even a U12S should be fine, if you want something lighter.

Going from HDD to SSD does make a big difference for almost any game. It doesn't matter too much what type of SSD, so something like a cheap 4TB SATA SSD would still be better than an HDD.

Also, my Noctua HSF came with a small tube of thermal paste. No need to buy extra. The HSF hopefully comes with LGA1700 bracket. However, that motherboard supports LGA1200 HSF too, so you should be fine.

Last edited:

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
I'd drop the huge HSF and go with a NH-U14S. I use my 12700K system for gaming and the U14S is just fine. I undervolted CPU and while gaming my CPU never goes above the low 70s C.

Jul 27, 2020
I play a lot of older games ( kotor, aoe etc ) and the 6TB hdd was for that. Don't know if I should get rid of this and swap it out for another 2TB SSD. I also don't know if SSD has any measurable speed difference for older games.
Keep the 6TB for cold storage and move the games to SSD when you are playing something actively. Even older games will load faster and possibly texture pop-in will be reduced.

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
Needed a second opinion on this build from a lifelong gaming laptop user. I am not super well versed with the latest happenings in the PC world but I want to optimize for low noise and good thermals [ both of which are major gaming laptop pain points ]. Budget is flexible ~3.5k. Don't need RGB at all. Prefer a minimalistic look. I don't plan on overclocking ( don't think I need the K version of Intel's CPU ). Want to play heavily modded Skyrim, Cyberpunk 2077 maxed out etc.

I am not sure about the Motherboard choice. Seems it is a bit too flimsy from some of the reviews to withstand the cooler. Is there anything better

Do I need the mounting kit for the Noctua CPU cooler and is it the correct one.

Is the choice of the CPU cooler correct or should I swap it out for something else. I strongly prefer air CPU coolers and don't want to deal with any liquid solutions. I am wagering whether I should go with the NH-U12A instead of NH-D15.

How do I know if the CPU cooler fits into the case. The dimensions from the website are h = 165mm for the cooler and the case dimensions are 453 x 230 x 466 but I am not clear how much clearance from the edges etc is needed for the mobo .. I am also getting this warning at the bottom of the website ( Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders. )

Do I need extra case fans or is the CPU cooler + case enough. I plan on using both at the back of the case.

What other peripherals ( apart from keyboard and mouse ) would I need to buy to get the entire setup working? I know the GPU to Monitor HDMI ( output display ) cable is needed but I think this already comes with the monitor. Is the build all inclusive

Any other parts that I need to swap out. I am more or less set on 3070Ti / 12700 / DDR4. Anything else I am ok to change. For example I picked Gigabyte 3070 TI only because it was first. I am not sure how well Gigabyte is regarded around these parts and whether I should go for a different option for better warranty / customer service / longevity etc

Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2yN6sL

1. CPU: Intel 12700k

2. GPU: Gigabyte 3070ti

3. CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler

4. MOBO: Asus PRIME Z690-P WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

5. CASE: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case

Nice, my new build has many of the same parts and case also.