Need help - speakers/amp for church.

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
So, I'm going to get a pair of 8ohm Dayton Audio bookshelf speakers for $35.

I want to use a mono microphone. Such as this, unless there's a problem with it.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=248-6456

I want the same mono signal to go to both speakers.

What do I need? Speakers, speaker wire, microphone, and...? An amplifier? Is that it?

Can you suggest an amplifier? Budget price.

It doesn't need a lot of power / doesn't need to be loud. It's going in secondary rooms.

Thanks.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
any amp should work, i would look into pro audio gear because it will be cheaper and more durable so will withstand the abuse of being moved around and setup and taken down all the time.

EDIT: depending on the mike you may need a conversion on the connector to take it from XLR(which it probably is) to RCA(which most amps take)

Most pro amp will take XLR as well so you may not need a conversion of the connector if you go pro gear, perhaps a splitter to make the mono mike feed both channels. Some pro amps have a seperate mic input as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

kornphlake

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2003
While you're looking at pro audio amps you might consider looking at pro audio speakers as well. Home stereo speakers when used for PA, to me, make the lecturer sound like a DJ if that makes sense. Pro audio PA speakers seem to reproduce voices more accurately.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
why are you looking at pro amps if all you are going to drive is a pair of speakers that cost 35?
someone in the congregation must have one of those mini components from yesteryear with a microphone input?
Something like this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
I never thought of that! Thanks!

why are you looking at pro amps if all you are going to drive is a pair of speakers that cost 35?
someone in the congregation must have one of those mini components from yesteryear with a microphone input?
Something like this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us