Need Help Setting Up and Configuring Access Point

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I brought home a pair of Cisco 1130AG series wireless access points because we are getting new ones at the office; these were going to be thrown out. I figured I could use one at home to extend the range of my own household network but it's proven to be way more of a headache than I anticipated.

I have a pretty basic setup at home with a Linksys WRT54G wireless router connected to a basic cable modem. We have several desktop and laptop PC's in the home that use the wireless router. The unit is downstairs though and at times top floor signal strength can be troublesome, especially with the laptops. So I mounted one of the access points in the living room, halfway between the basement and the top floor, in hopes that I could improve signal throughout the house.

Is this even possible to do or am I completely misunderstanding the use of the AP? Right now I have it wired down from the living room to the router downstairs and it passes through a network switch on the way. I was trying to find the IP that was given to the access point but I don't think it's correct. I downloaded the small IP config utility (IPSU) from Cisco's site and put in the access point's MAC address, which gives me the IP "192.168.1.102" but when I open my web browser and put that in the address bar nothing comes up. My understanding is I need to access the web GUI in order to configure the wireless AP but I have not been able to do so.

My knowledge on these devices is minimal but my home network has no security enabled so this shouldn't be this difficult. I assume I am missing something... My wireless devices can detect the access point but nothing will connect. So, how exactly am I supposed to wire this thing up exactly? My main issue is I can't get the web GUI to show up; I tried linking a PC directly to the access point but IPSU states that the device doesn't respond. The AP has power and I know it works because it appears on the list of available networks...

Anyway if someone could walk me through the process of getting this thing working I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance for any info!

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
The AP is probably configured with a static IP, and you'll likely need a serial cable to configure it via a terminal session. Did you try resetting it?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'm gonna try resetting it now, finally dug up some useful information on Cisco's site about mode switching and physical set up details. I know my router has DHCP enabled so I should be able to use the web GUI to configure it, but I haven't been able to access any settings at all. I'm not sure how it was configured before so it may be a static IP. I also have no idea which firmware the AP is running...

Thanks for the input

EDIT: Finally got it up and running. I had to reset the thing twice before I could get the IP set and GUI working but all seems good now. I also had to manually enable 802.11g radio and set it to broadcast SSID but those were fairly easy to find. I was surprised at how many settings there were, but I suppose having a high end AP in a home setting isn't exactly the intended purpose.

Last edited: