Need help replacing a Socket 423 P4ITA Motherboard

SmokinGun

Mar 15, 2004
Hello,

I am trying to fix a computer that belongs to a friend of mine. He has a ECS P4ITA Motherboard, Pentium 1.7, and 256 MB of RDRAM. He has 2 sticks of RAM and has spacers in the other 2 slots.

The machine will not take windows XP due to an error on the motherboard. I think it needs to be flashed to 1.0E as mentioned in the article below but I can only find 1.0D. I wrote the company and can't get a response.

Anyway, we are looking at replacing the motherboard. He wants to spend as little as possible to get it working. I'd like to buy a brand new motherboard that will work with his existing equipment. I checked ASUS and noticed they no longer sell the Socket 423. What motherboard could I get that would work with his existing equipment?

Motherboard information

Problem description

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Check pricewatch under motherboards>I850 chipset. Centrix International and some others have several Intel boards listed for $20-27. The abit TH7-raid was listed at only $27, and I believe it uses rdram.

SmokinGun

Mar 15, 2004
I looked up that motherboard and found a comment from the online retailer stating this motherboard doesn't work with Windows XP... I'm still trying to find another one.

"FeedbackType Feedback OrderNumber Posted Dealer
Negative
the driver will not work for windows XP On File 3/5/2004 2:19:00 PM Hi-Tech Liquidation Inc "