Need help overclocking...

Erazor51

Jun 25, 2008
I have the following spec:

Asus P8Z77-V
i7 3770K
Crucial 8GB 1866Mhz CL9

I read on an article the following:

- If optional, increase/release the TDP limit of your processor to 200~250 Watts

- And now set the TURBO multiplier at a maximum of your liking, we applied an MP of 48 on all four cores

- Increase CPU voltage, though setting AUTO might work fine, we applied 1.425V (which is reall high)

- Make sure your processor is properly cooled (we used a Noctua D12 heatpipe cooler and forced the fan to 60% RPM)

- Save and Exit BIOS / UEFI

Now my question is:

1. Where do i locate the TDP limit on my mobo? i can't find it.

2. Profile is set to XMP atm or do i change to something else?

3. What voltage do i set? or leave on auto? also any other voltages to set? i have a feeling auto sets the voltage quite high which will effect temps

Thanks

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
1) I haven't needed to increase TDP limit on any of my overclocks on Sandy/Ivy up to 4.5GHz. 4.8GHz? Maybe depends on if it throttles itself? I don't have the exact same motherboard as you so you may have to dig in the settings.

2) Sounds fine.

3) AUTO usually goes a bit high to cover all CPUs since one CPU may need more than another. If you want to tweak your settings, what you want to use is an OFFSET voltage. Start with an offset that puts you at what AUTO does, and start lowering it from there until system fails stability tests, after which you raise it to the last stable setting. You can also try playing with Load-Line Calibration. Boards now have steps, so you can step up one notch in LLC and see if it helps with lowered voltages.

NOTE: You do want to use an offset voltage, because if you don't your CPU will always be running at the higher voltage, instead of automatically lowering the voltage when idle.

Erazor51

Jun 25, 2008
1) I haven't needed to increase TDP limit on any of my overclocks on Sandy/Ivy up to 4.5GHz. 4.8GHz? Maybe depends on if it throttles itself? I don't have the exact same motherboard as you so you may have to dig in the settings.

2) Sounds fine.

3) AUTO usually goes a bit high to cover all CPUs since one CPU may need more than another. If you want to tweak your settings, what you want to use is an OFFSET voltage. Start with an offset that puts you at what AUTO does, and start lowering it from there until system fails stability tests, after which you raise it to the last stable setting. You can also try playing with Load-Line Calibration. Boards now have steps, so you can step up one notch in LLC and see if it helps with lowered voltages.

NOTE: You do want to use an offset voltage, because if you don't your CPU will always be running at the higher voltage, instead of automatically lowering the voltage when idle.

Thanks I will try this. I have set the system to 4.3ghz atm with voltage set to auto and with prime 95 running for 10 mins now the max temp is 70/78/78/75 and the Asus sensor recorder software is showing 1.332 Vcore.

Are the temps normal for 4.3ghz @ 1.332 vcore?

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
Temps look pretty normal, that's about what I experience with a 3570k at similar voltage and speed, 212 Cooler, and HAF X full tower push pull. Personally as I understand it it's best to try and use the least voltage amount you can. It looks like your chip is like mine, and it's a little hungrier for voltage.

Oh, also I was told to watch the "package" temp not the cores as a general best practice. The core temps can all vary quite a bit, package temp is apparently a more realistic temp.

What are you using to monitor temperatures?

Erazor51

Jun 25, 2008
Temps look pretty normal, that's about what I experience with a 3570k at similar voltage and speed, 212 Cooler, and HAF X full tower push pull. Personally as I understand it it's best to try and use the least voltage amount you can. It looks like your chip is like mine, and it's a little hungrier for voltage.

Oh, also I was told to watch the "package" temp not the cores as a general best practice. The core temps can all vary quite a bit, package temp is apparently a more realistic temp.

What are you using to monitor temperatures?

I am using core temp. What is package temp?

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

mablo

Sep 10, 2012
Shall I copy all the settings on see on the bios screen shots from that guide?

What settings are you using?

@ mango123, ill try that thanks.

That's what I did, and then adjusting offset accordingly in 0.05 increments until stable. Now I'm running at 4.4 with -15 offset. I'm no expert by any means, but this worked for me. I see they have another way of figuring out offset in that guide but I didn't do that.

Erazor51

Jun 25, 2008
I followed the guide and got my system prime95 stable for 16 hours at 4.5ghz.

Changes made from the guide:

CPU Power Response Control: Ultra Fast (was not mention in guide)
Voltage Offset: - 0.015
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.500

Thanks for all the help everyone.