Need Help OCing HP OMEN Laptop

Xarthisius

Sep 21, 2017
Hello everyone!:) I am new to OCing so I need some help overclocking my HP OMEN laptop.Yes I know its dangerous to overclock laptops but I have a cooling pad for mine and the temps didn't get to high when I tested it in FurMark.My CPU is a Intel core i7-7700HQ and my GPU is a Polaris 10 revision 1 I think, the model is a 17 laptop-an0xx.If you need anymore info just let me know. I'm not really sure how much I'm supposed to overclock it by and I'm not sure if I need to overclock my CPU or GPU.Any help would be much appreciated.:beercheers:

Last edited:

Xarthisius

Sep 21, 2017
Thanks for replying! Well that sucks can I overclock my GPU though? If so how much should I increase the core clock and memory clock to make a noticeable Difference?

Last edited:

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
You may check AMD Radeon Settings. There should be Wattman feature to allow overclocking gpu core and memory clock.

Xarthisius

Sep 21, 2017
How much should I increase the core clock and memory clock to make a noticeable difference like 5 FPS?

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
Just say no to even attempting to overclock laptops. My experience is that they are unable to sustain even their stock turbo speeds for more than brief periods without hitting thermal throttling.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Is there a way to reduce the thermal throttling?

No.

My question is WHY do you want to overclock your laptop? It's so dangerous and will do more harm than good. Even with a "laptop pad", which doesn't really help at all even if you were able to overclock it.

Xarthisius

Sep 21, 2017
Well I don't see why its so dangerous as long as the temps don't get too high. I even have a overclocking tool In my AMD Radeon settings and all I want is a little more FPS...

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Well I don't see why its so dangerous as long as the temps don't get too high. I even have a overclocking tool In my AMD Radeon settings and all I want is a little more FPS...

Overclocking is an easy way to get more FPS for sure. Can you do it on a laptop? Sometimes, but it isn't worth the risk. Keeping it cool isn't the only part. The heatsinks won't be capable of handling it, guaranteed, and you'll end up killing something.

Want guaranteed FPS, then get a desktop and gaming components, or an actual gaming laptop with higher gaming performance parts such as a 1080 or something.

Xarthisius

Sep 21, 2017
Well I'm already "Overclocking" the core clock by 100 MHz and the memory clock by 200 MHz is this enough to make a difference?

Xarthisius

Sep 21, 2017
I'm playing Total war Attila and Ive done a few benchmarks in it and I couldn't tell any difference. Sorry this is probably a dumb question but what do you mean by iGPU?:confused: Want do want to know specifically?

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
I'm playing Total war Attila and Ive done a few benchmarks in it and I couldn't tell any difference. Sorry this is probably a dumb question but what do you mean by iGPU?:confused: Want do want to know specifically?

Tell us what GPU you have in the laptop or a link to your laptop so we can see full specs. Polaris GPU doesn't help us one bit, as there's a ton of GPU's and cores with that codename.

Centauri

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
If you refer to your GPU as 'Polaris 10 revision 1 I think', you probably shouldn't be overclocking...

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
AMD Radeon Rx 580 is that a GPU?

That is a GPU. Even if your cooling setup can handle the extra heat, you probably won't get much out of overclocking. Say you can get an extra 10%, that's still only 5-6 fps assuming you're getting 50-60fps now. It can make a difference if you're hitting 57fps and you really want to get to 60fps, but in most cases it won't help that much.

Xarthisius

Sep 21, 2017
Ahhhh ok now how much would I have to increase the core clock and memory clock to get 5 more FPS lets say?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I thought that the "Total War" games were mostly CPU-limited. If so, increasing the TDP budget that the GPU uses, may be counter-productive. (Either lower FPS, or possibly, you'll burn something out.)

Edit: To clarify: In most laptops, the GPU and the CPU share cooling subsystems, they are usually connected by heatpipes, and may have one or two fans. Therefore, they both share the TDP budget.

If a game needs more CPU grunt (like most RTSes later in the game), then overclocking the GPU (drawing more power and generating more heat from the GPU), will reduce the headroom that the CPU has, thermally-speaking, to Turbo, which on Intel CPUs is important that they maintain headroom.

It's kind of a holistic type of systems, boost GPU and take away from CPU (for GPU-heavy games, this is generally fine), or lower GPU to leave more room for CPU to Turbo.

Last edited:

Xarthisius

Sep 21, 2017
Well if I cant overclock this thing is it possible to upgrade my CPU or GPU in this? My friend told me its not possible to upgrade laptops...or should I just get a new one and if so any suggestions?

Centauri

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
Why are you so intent on overclocking? The 580 is one of the most powerful GPUs that anybody has ever bothered putting into a laptop. And I'm pretty sure you've got an i7 7700 in there too so, again...