NEED help... my computer won't boot... WEIRD...

Tr0LL

Aug 30, 2000
I have a Duron 600 @ 1016mhz /w an Asus A7V motherboard.
256megs pc100 RAM

I was in bios messing with the video card settings.
Basically it was at default. Then I changed the AGP speed from AUTO to Manual. I set it to 0 and 0 (i dunno what they do, I was just messing around with the settings). Then I also changed the UC memory to 256.

Upon reboot the computer made One long beep, then 3 short beeps right after. Well according to the manual that is video card. I was like oh crap...... I have 3 different AGP geforce cards..... all new..... so even if i f_ck'd up this one somehow, the other 2 were tested and working fine previously..... ANYONE know the problem? i need help...... i tried to reset the bios by taking out the lil battery, but is there another way to reset bios? HELP!!!

Tr0LL

Aug 30, 2000
Ok, I tested out my video cardS on my other system (this one i'm using now) and they all work fine. I even bought another duron 600 at frys to test and that one won't boot either. It keeps on making that long beep, then 3 short beeps (which is SUPPOSE to be video card or bad video card memory). Could it be my motherboard?

I do have another hunch.... i remember a few weeks ago when i first got my LOCK'D duron, i tried to mess around with the multipliers b4 i unlock'd it with the pencil and i think i remember it beeping the same way... 1 long, 3 shorts......

Any1 with a lock'd duron wanna test this for me? just change ur multiplier one step higher on the motherboard and see if ur computer makes 1 long beep, then 3 short ones....

Anyway i set everything back to default, but the computer still won't beep... still same beeping message... help please.. i have NO idea what to do...

BTW... anyone know where the reset cmos jumper is on the Asus A7V? i see it labeled on the motherboard, but there are no jumpers around it (at least not the rite one). It isn't in my manual either.

luvrambus

Sep 23, 2000
I'm not sure where the clear cmos jumper is on your board..you say you have the manual? it's definitely in the manual..it might not be a jumper you're looking for though...sometimes you have to put a flathead screwdriver in there and short two solder points; that's how it is on the Asus P2B(I know it souns bad but it isn't) what were you thinking when you put the agp to "0"?? of course it won't boot..when you find the right solder points shut off the machine and place the flathead screwdriver right on the two solder points (make sure it makes good contact maybe hold it for 3 or 4 second...that's it when you boot you have your bios back with the default settings..I know it suck to change all your setting againg to get it tweaked just right.. I hope you remember all the settings you had!

luvrambus

Sep 23, 2000
c'mon...it's not THAT expensive..yes, it's more than SDRAM and will be more than DDR, but you can find 128 meg pc800 DIMM for 300-400 bucks..if it would cost the same as SDRAM what do you think everyone would get?? of course RDRAM..I agree it's too much more expensive than SDRAM for the performace you can get right now..but what is everyone going to be doing with their SDRAM systems when the P4 comes around..they're gonna be wishing they had rambus

Tr0LL

Aug 30, 2000
thanx..... i fixed it...... the connect the solder thing worked. That was a first for me... usually it's the jumper thing......

oh.... and btw.... it's NOT in the manual..... hehe..... in the manual it's labeled as CLRTC.... that's ALL..... never says what it is..... never says what you do with it.... never says crap..... however on the board at that same spot it says "Clear Cmos"

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Luvrambus everyone wil wait for the via ddr chipset (intel cant make ddr chipsets so they have a deal with via hehe)and use ddr.Rambus is suck