Need Help: Laptop Battery Not Holding A Charge???

Dan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm working on someone's Compaq Presario 1622 laptop (P-200w/MMX, 80MB RAM, 2.1GB HDD). I've managed to resolve all of problems he had except for one. The indicators on the laptop and the battery itself show a 100% charge for the battery. However, when you "pull the plug" it runs on battery power for less than a minute before crapping out.

Does the battery need to be replaced? Or should I be looking for another culprit?

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Yea, from the specs of that laptop, the battery seems rather old. Its useful life has probably run out. Time for a replacment.

Thats generaly what a battery does when it goes south.

TheCub

Mar 19, 2002
I have worked with cellular phone batteries for some time now. Sounds to me like you just need a new one. I imagine that laptop has a lithium Ion cell and the life is about 1-2 years on those if they are taken care of well.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Compaq also has a firmware flash update for the battery voltage/charger board

Dan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the fast replies! I'll tell him he needs a new battery. (Along with a recommendation that he get a new laptop.)

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< the life is about 1-2 years on those if they are taken care of well. >>

I don't believe that at all. Rechargeables can easily last far more than 1-2 years. I have some 10+ year old NICD's that still hold their full rated capacity. I have a pile of old laptop batteries that will power the 386 laptop about 2 hours. I also have a 6 year old Dell Latitude XPi P133 which has a Li-Ion battery which still lasts about 2 hours.

They only type of batteries I have seen fail at a young age are NIMH. I have a feeling that Compaq laptop probably has a NIMH battery.

DKNYSprt95

Apr 24, 2002
Batteries die out after 1-2 years depend on use. There ARE alternatives to spending $200 on a new battery, such as sending it to a laptop battery manufacturer. What they do is crack it open and replace the cells. Most laptop battery cells are sub c, industrial type so it's just a matter of desoldering, finding out polarity, and replacing the battery.... If you want, you can service your own laptop battery :)

Peter

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002

<<

<< the life is about 1-2 years on those if they are taken care of well. >>

I don't believe that at all.
>>

I don't know what world you're living in, but a laptop battery under heavy use is only going to last 1-2 years. Thats how long ever battery I've ever encoutered has lasted. I could see it lasting longer if you didn't actualy use it a lot....but then whats the point of having a battery? ;)