Need help installing Win ME over Win 2k

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Hi there,
I recently messed up my win2k setup by trying to get ACPI to work. I'm fed up with win2k since its such a system hog and I'm deciding to go ahead and try Windows ME since I play so many games. I need to find a way to get my favorites and outlook messages and then I need to find a way to setup Windows ME (for some reason my cd-rom drive won't accept bootable CDs). Basically I just need to find a way to kill my MBR so I can install Windows ME. If anyone can help me out with this stuff, let me know.

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Well, if you are using NTFS, you won't get any files from Win2K without reinstalling it. If you are only using FAT/FAT32, then that won't be the problem.

If you can boot into DOS, and 'fdisk /mbr' should restore the MBR to pre-Win2K.

-SUO

Marine

Jan 27, 2000
Shiva,
You'd be far better off by investing a bit in some good Mushkin RAM and keeping Win2K rather than installing ME. If you go ahead with it, as the Orangeman says fdisk /mbr and format and start from scratch -- don't try to install over a botched Win2K setup.
Roar Lions Roar! Orangeman...don't suppose you remember the time you guys painted the Nittany Lion orange the night before a Syracuse-PSU football game?

LordQria

May 6, 2000
As far as the Outlook messages and favorites.. you can export you mail to a personal folder.. backup.pst and copy it to a floppy then import them back into Outlook. If your fav folder is huge, you can copy it as well, but I would recommend zipping it first. If its not overload, consider emailing it to yourself. I change computers at work all the time and its the best way for me to always have everything available.

-J

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
well see, the problem is, I can't really boot into windows right now to export my files. That makes it difficult to back up those outlook files and the favorites.