Need help installing Linux in a manner so as to preserve my data.

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
Here's my drive structure:

My hard drive is partitioned into 4 NTFS partitions C:, D:, E:, F:

C: has Windows installed on it, other 3 partitions have my data on it.

The biggest problem infront of me is that I do not have another hard drive which i can experiment with. I have only this drive, and I have to work in a manner that I can install linux as well as save my data.

If I format the C: partition with ext3 format, and install Linux on it. The other partitions will continue to exist and I will mount them to use their data(as linux reads NTFS partitions)

However, tomorrow, if I want to reinstall Windows, will I able to simply boot from a Windows disc, format the C: drive and install Windows to it and my other partitions will remain untouched?

I did this with Ubuntu 4 years back and I had a really horrible experience as when i tried to install Windows, it did not recognize my partition where Linux was installed and I had to format the entire drive and partition it from the scratch, losing all my data.

I don't want this to happen again.

Please help me out.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Best option is a virtual machine if you're just playing. Otherwise, if/when you wipe GNU/Linux to install Windows, use a utility to format the partition to ntfs before launching Windows install. It goes without saying you should backup everything you can't afford to lose. Partitioning is very reliable, but there's a non zero chance things can go wrong.

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
I would say get another, possibly portable, HDD and back up all that data or you are playing a dangerous game. Or just VM as lxskllr said.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I would use a VM for now, when you want to do it for real then get another drive. The cost will be worth it, vs the hassle of getting Linux and Windows to play nice with each other. As far as I know it CAN be done, but I've never been successful at it. Usually results in a system that won't boot and having to reinstall both.

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
My computer isn't powerful enough to run a VM. I don't really have a pressing need for linux, I just want to ditch Windows because of BSODs, Telemetry and the fact that it is much more prone to virii.

I also want to learn about computers and I think "playing around" with Linux would be a good way to do that.

lxskllr: Is there a utility like that? That would boot off a DVD and allow to format an ext3 partition as NTFS? I know Linux cannot create NTFS partition, it being proprietary.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I'm sure running Gparted from a bootable Linux CD will create an NTFS Partition with no problems.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Any time you manipulate partitions, there is a danger corrupting data even if it is a small chance. First off, if this is important data you need to back it up. Period. In my opinion if you can't afford to backup data that you can't live without, then you can't afford to be using that drive for activities that can put that data in jeopardy.

What about using a LiveCD/DVD/USB. There are numerous distros with great Live discs. Boot performance will be slower, but as you said you just want to "play around" with Linux. This is the safest method to do so.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Do you know whether your computer boots using BIOS or UEFI? If it boots using BIOS, you can install Ubuntu in a loopback filesystem on the C: drive and have a dual boot that way without touching any of the disk partitions. There was an Ubuntu installation method that worked this way. Not sure if they still have that option though.

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
Computer boots using BIOS. Have experimented with dual boot with W7+Ubuntu12.04LTS back in 2012, and that was the horrible experience that I mentioned in my post.