Need help in dealing with phone company

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
My girlfriend switched her long distance to MCI last month from the default AT&T rates she was automatically set up with. She received a form in the mail from MCI welcoming her as a new customer and confirming the switch. Yesterday, she received her phone bill.

She was still being charged by AT&T at $.35/min instead of the $.5/min she should have been charged by MCI. She called MCI and they do have her listed as a long-distance customer, but their records show that Comcast (local telco) never routed any of her calls through them. MCI's records also show that they did contact Comcast in order to switch the long distance service.

She called Comcast, and they were uncooperative and rude. They told her that her only option was to contact AT&T who, of course, refused to refund the charges because it is not AT&T's fault. I've dealt with a similar issue in the past where the wrong long-distance company was charging me because of a screwup at Hell Atlantic, and it was a simple matter of calling Hell Atlantic and telling them to take the charges off my phone bill.

Unfortunately for my girlfriend, she receives a seperate bill from AT&T, and Comcast is telling her that they can not do anything about those charges. I believe they are full of it. Every time I've seen a problem like this, it has been up to the local telco to get it resolved. Comcast wants nothing to do with it; they were not even willing to make a conference call to MCI to discuss the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? I dug up Virginia's version of the Public Utility Commision from the state website, but because of past experience in dealing with PA's, I'd like to find another alternative first. Am I correct in blaming this on Comcast? Their records show that they never switched the long distance carrier to MCI, even though MCI shows that they did call Comcast to request it (there are no passwords or blocks on the line preventing them from doing so).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.