Need help from New Yorkers

O2Deprived

Feb 22, 2007
My wife and I are trying to plan a trip to Manhatten in early May. The sticker shock of these hotels is
quite amazing. I can see that they do get lower in price the farther away from Central Park you go.
Can anyone recommend a decent place, close to the attractions, or at least one that is close by using
subway?

Thanks in advance.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
how much is a decent price?

i've used priceline in the past with decent results. just start at a low ball level with 5 stars, then try it again with 4 and 5, then bump up the amount 5 bucks and try with 5 stars, then with 4 and 5, wash, rinse, repeat

O2Deprived

Feb 22, 2007
Thanks for the tips.

Quick question. On priceline, there are a few in Long Island City NY. Is there subway or other mass transit stops nearby to get into the city easily?

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Last time I stayed in the city it was $659/night. If you don't mind taking the PATH train back and forth you're probably better off staying in Jersey.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
Last time I stayed in the city it was $659/night. If you don't mind taking the PATH train back and forth you're probably better off staying in Jersey.

jesus h!

i paid $125 a night at the hilton (next to times square) through priceline.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: O2Deprived
Thanks for the tips.

Quick question. On priceline, there are a few in Long Island City NY. Is there subway or other mass transit stops nearby to get into the city easily?

Depends on where in LIC. You need to Google a good subway map, and then you can coss-reference.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix

jesus h!

I actually just booked two room there for my birthday in August. What did you think of it? Supposed to be pretty sweet and I should be able to get a really good room with my Hilton status.

The $659/night was during the UN Summit back in September and everything in the area was either sold out or even more expensive. I posted a thread about it then...I was 2 1/2 blocks from the UN...Secret Service was everywhere.

O2Deprived

Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: ElFenix

jesus h!

What size room is that for $125? Is that a shared or exclusive bathroom? I ask because a lot of the ones on those travel sites list a lot of the cheap ones as shared. I'd prefer my own bathroom if possible.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: O2Deprived
What size room is that for $125? Is that a shared or exclusive bathroom? I ask because a lot of the ones on those travel sites list a lot of the cheap ones as shared. I'd prefer my own bathroom if possible.

i wouldn't doubt if it was the smallest room on the floor (standard hotel rectangle, but it's rectangle was shared with the maid's closet, and it was next to the elevator shaft), but it was plenty big enough for what it was used for. had it's own bathroom. i doubt there is a shared bathroom in the hilton. i think it was a full size bed, rather than queen.

I actually just booked two room there for my birthday in August. What did you think of it? Supposed to be pretty sweet and I should be able to get a really good room with my Hilton status.

The $659/night was during the UN Summit back in September and everything in the area was either sold out or even more expensive. I posted a thread about it then...I was 2 1/2 blocks from the UN...Secret Service was everywhere.
that was when i was there.

anyway, it did seem pretty nice, but i wasn't there much. mostly i was out and about.