Need help finding the right sound bar

Madia

May 2, 2006
I just picked up a new 60" TV (Sony KDL60W630B) and am looking to upgrade the audio with a sound bar. I know very little about audio but I'm basically looking for something with better overall sound and clearer dialogue. I will mostly be watching TV and occasionally movies. With games I have a headset. I often watch tv downstairs when others are sleeping upstairs so I either want something with a night mode or something without thunderous bass. The maximum size would be 48". Since it's downstairs my couch is right up against the back wall so I'm not sure a 5.1 setup (like the popular Vizio S4251w-B4) would work for me since the rear speakers wouldn't be behind me; they'd be to the left and right of me. Also, I'm not sure it's possible but for convenience sake I'd like to be able to operate the volume with my tv remote (would buying the same brand sound bar as my tv enable me to do this?).

The two main one's I've looked at are the aforementioned Vizio and a Sony:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-S4251w-B...izio+sound+bar

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HTCT260H-...sony+sound+bar

I know the rear speakers might not work out with the Vizio 5.1 but I wouldn't mind it if it's still works as a quality 3.1. Any input or recommendations would be appreciated.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I got the Andre Jones soundbar from Pioneer. It sounds amazing for the price. Crystal clear with excellent sounding bass. I got mine at HH gregg for $250.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
5.1 sound often has the speakers besides you. 7.1 has speakers behind you.

Michael

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've been very happy with my 2.1 Vizio soundbar. The wireless sub is awesome, and the whole setup sounds great for the price. I kind of wish that I had waited for the Black Friday deal for the 5.1 unit, but I've been enjoying it for the past month or two, so oh well.

My only real complaint on the 2.1 model is the volume control - it has a bell curve rather than a flat increase. It increases normally up to about 50%, and then gets REALLY loud like one notch over 50%, which is really annoying because I usually want it louder than my TV would normally be, but not ear-splittingly loud, which is where it likes to jump to. Not sure if the 5.1 model works that way or not.