Need help deciding on a full-size SUV ...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
First off, I am an automotive technician at a Jeep dealership (previous to that, a Dodge dealership, and independant shops).

To discount a make because "I hear they have bad transmissions", isn't exactly fair. If you were to disregard a model, because of a common problem such as that, you'd never buy a new car. They all have their problems, they all have their upsides. It's really a matter of personal preference.

That being said... Just have your father spend an afternoon and test drive the different makes. Then find a better way to buy one, then through some greaseball salesman at the local dealer. If you are trading something in, and must go that route, find the "fleet" salesperson. They aren't as interested in hardballing, like the typical greaseballs. (Can you tell that I hate car salesmen. ;) )

Grand Cherokees will only seat four comfortably, and five in a pinch. The Durango's are good, but make sure that he likes the size. (Yes they are a mid-size, based on the Dakota.) And with the V8 engine, the Durangos haul ass.

Kilgor

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< << same Rangers and Explorers are also having a Slip in the 3-4 clutch pack and ford won't do a thing about it now >> >>

<< How many Explorers do you know of that are sold with a manual transimission...I didn't think so >>

Automatics are the ones that have clutch packs. :p

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
My Dad got a 2000 Dodge Durango a couple months ago... very nice vehicle :)
Oh and like Dodge said in its advertising... the Durango is inbetween the Toys and the Tanks so yes it's a mid size SUV ;)

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Offer the dealer to sell you an Excursion with the crossmembers replaced. You gonna tell me they'll let a $40,000 deal slip away for the price of a couple crossmembers?

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
NFS4 How many Explorers do you know of that are sold with a manual transimission...I didn't think so

Not to be an ass but a 3-4 Clutch pack is located in a automatic Transmission a Manuel only has one clutch.... and it's manuel at that

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
oops Kilgore already got it.... sorry NFS4... it's kewl it's only a Tech Bulliten on the 2000 Rangers and Explorers... and I think it's minus the Explorers with the 302 only the 3 and 4 litre V6's

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
explorer, expedition, excursion.
wonder if they'll start making vehicles with spares (cars) attached. soon we'll have our expeditions w/ 3 explorers and a taurus!
sheesh, lots of wasted space and gas if you ask me.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I was wondering What would be the next one they have the Explorer..Expedition... and now Excurision... what would follow??

Wingznut Pez I didn't want the message to sound like I was saying that I don't like ford I am a big Mustang fan but it's not that I heard about the problem... since you do work for a service shop then you know about Technical Bullitens... not a recall but they say it is a problem they are facing. I know this cause my brother bought one and if he could have his name changed his middle name would be ford but he works for GE who does the Warranty's for dealerships and so he see's recalls and all the Tec's

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Thanks for all of the replies, guys. Here's the situation in a little more detail.

My mother is going to be the primary driver of the vehicle. She used to drive a full-size '78 Bronco when I was a kid. The reason my parents need such a large vehicle is that we sometimes take family trips to visit my aunt on the other side of the state. If my brother and myself tag along with my parents and sister, that makes six people. Also, my mother does alot of volunteer work and is always hauling stuff around. Plus, she sometimes takes a bunch of friends/coworkers to lunch and stuff like that. Also, now that my sister is away at college, they need something to haul her crap back and forth.

I went with my dad and looked at Suburbans, Tahoes, and Durangos at a local dealer. The Suburban seems to be the best choice. The third seat in the Tahoe is brutal. Your knees are at chest level because the seat is in the cargo area, which is higher than the floorpan. The Durango has the easiest access to the rear seat. Only SUV's with a third seat are able to be considered, so that is why the Pathfinder and others are out of the mix.

We also stopped and looked at the GMC equivalents (Yukon and Yukon XL). Luckily, one of my best friends knows someone at a GMC dealer across the bridge in NJ. My father is going over there tomorrow to see what he comes up with. He's gonna take my mother and let her drive the different vehicles and see what she thinks.

gtbuzz

Dec 7, 1999
she doesn't shuttle people back and forth to soccer practice, does she? (sorry, but someone *had* to say it...)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like she needs a minivan, not a sport-ute. And you can get a Grand Caravan with AWD.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I see your point, Laust...

However, each vehicle over two years old has in the neighborhood of 200 TSB's for it. I've seen TSB's regarding a problem that apply to every single one of the particular model out, and I've seen TSB's that I've never cared about.

Plus a lot of TSB's apply only to a limited production time period, or the factory it was built, etc.

Sure, it's something to take consideration of... but if you based your purchase on things like this, you'd never buy a car.

(EDIT: TSB = Technical Service Bulletin)

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Do they still make 4wd full sized vans? I haven't seen one for awhile but sounds like that would work pretty nice.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
They've been through four minivans since 1984. They've been too problematic. The Chryslers burned/leaked oil like a mofo. The Fords have had transmission and head gasket problems. My aunt had a Chevy that was a total POS. The decision to get an SUV is based on the desire to get away from the whole minivan concept. Nothing beats a V8, a full-frame, and 4WD. The other thing is, I'll want to borrow it as well when I am going fishing with more people than I can fit into my pickup truck.

Midnight Rambler

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Not only do you get Japanese quality and reliability, but you get a silky smooth DOHC V8 straight from the Lexus LS400 >>

You cut and paste this from a C&amp;D mag or something? Japanese quality and reliability is grossly exaggerated. I'll give them their props for decent motors though ...

<< All of the Big 3...er Big 2 and a German/American Guy suck in interior finish/materials. >>

'Spose this came from car 'rag ... In reality, most Japanese transplants, as well as the Big 3, source their interior parts/systems from the same companies.

<< Ironically, the Chrysler model with the best interior material choice/workmanship is the PT Cruiser >>

Oh my .... :confused: