Need help deciding how cutting edge a Gaming PC should be

brbdc

Sep 28, 2005
Traditionally, I build a new computer every 3 years. I usually go high to mid range on tech and it plays strongly for 2.5 years and then sort of falls behind on the last half year - year.

I am building a new pc for primarily use of gaming and a little web stuff / video watching. I dont do video editing and I dont run alot of apps other than games, browsers, chat clients.

I have been theory crafting 3 machines in my mind but really only giving weight to two of them (i7 and core duo).

I have adopted the opinion that a good gaming machine is heavy on ram and heavy on video power. I am sold on ati's 4870x2. The part I am split on is which processor/mobo/ram combo to go for.

Camp 1: is the most expensive camp, having me go with the Intel i7, new mobo (perhaps a p6t deluxe or asus rampage 2 extreme), and 6 gigs of ram appropriate for that mobo
Obviously this is the most expensive camp but also gives good long term usability over a wide range of programs. I consider this because the i7 will indeed increase performance. My hesitation is about the performance increase vs the long term use for gaming and the cost.

Camp 2: a core duo 8400 or 8600 (possibly overclocked) with 4 gigs of ram and one of the high end mobos listed in the "PC Builders resource thread' (probably a gigabyte mobo). This allows me to run a processor that is promoted on this board as recommended for gaming but shy of top of the line. Obviously this is the cheaper of the 2 roads, but will it last me 3 years of gaming?

Camp 3: is similar to 2nd camp above but it involves a quad core chip (little more new, little more expensive but also not as specifically great for gaming).

If i get the i7 and then 6 gigs of ram I am commiting to vista 64 bit which is also an extra expense but seems to return the most performance boost.

I am just plain undecided and could use the advice of some experienced builders.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My advice is to spec out each build to evaluate total price (CPU, MB, RAM).
Determine which price point offers you the best "bang for the buck" on the tasks you have planned.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I'd go with your option #2. i7 is way too expensive for not much better gaming performance. I'm serious -- with a 4870x2 and an E8500 or so, you're not going to be hurting in games for quite some time and the i7 wouldn't do much better, if at all. (some benchies show it losing to decently clocked core2 chips) You could build the E8500 rig for less than half the i7 rig and spend the savings on a big LCD, nice mouse, killer sound system, etc. Or just save it for the next upgrade in 2 years. By then the market will look vastly different and people who spent $1,000 for the cheapest i7 platform (including the cpu, mobo and memory) will look silly. I mean, think of the people who bought DDR2 when 2GB of DDR2-800 was $250.

brbdc

Sep 28, 2005
Thanks Nerp. Thats really helpful information.

Next question is will I see a considerable performance increase with 6gigs of ram running a 64 bit OS or should I stick with 4 gigs of ram at 32 bit OS?

youngsatchmo

Nov 20, 2008
If you just want the fastest machine possible and money is no object, go for the Corei7.

I am building a new rig now too, and I am opting for the Duo E8400 because I think this is a bad time to buy a Corei7. It just came out, so you are paying a premium to get the cutting edge stuff. For me, it's just not worth the extra cost. The Duo offers great value for not-so-shabby performance. I think it just makes sense to buy something that's not top of the line but is a reliable workhorse. Plus, all the technical and compatibility issues have been worked out already in the last few years.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: brbdc
Thanks Nerp. Thats really helpful information.

Next question is will I see a considerable performance increase with 6gigs of ram running a 64 bit OS or should I stick with 4 gigs of ram at 32 bit OS?

I'm running 4GB on a gaming machine and a work machine and lack of memory hasn't been an issue for me so far. The games I've played, like stalker, L4D, CS:S, CoD4, etc, aren't stressed for more memory. Vista would take advantage of the additional memory for more superfetch goodness, but I can say with some confidence that 4GB is the definate sweet spot.

If you do video editing and work with large files, or if you're doing some kind of serious computation that is dependent on memory, go for it. DDR2 IS cheap.

I personally would go with 8GB since 4GB kits are so cheap now. If you're not going to i7, you have the extra $30-$50 for another solid pair of G.Skills or something and get 2x 4GB kits.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Core i7 has moved to the fresh DDR3 world.

*cough *
Core i7 MBs support triple channel DDR3 memory.
3 x 1GB... 3 x 2GB... 3 x 4GB... Most popular are 3 x 2GB kits. ;)

brbdc

Sep 28, 2005
I read somewhere that 32 bit windows cannot take advantage of more than a certain amount of ram, that number being close to 4 gigs. Is that true?

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
yes

If you're building a "Cutting Edge" PC, you don't want a 32-bit OS anyway.

jterrell

Nov 18, 2004
imho cutting edge and gaming machine should never be used in the same sentence.
its like saying state if the art work truck.

a gamer wants a strong but truly proven and reliable system.

one that requires very little set up and no real learning by trial and error.

cutting edge really needs to remain the domain of those who tweak their systems and run benchmarks as a hobby. i have been in both camps and can tell you when i get to hardcore gaming i am never tweaking because it risks crashing the system or causing me a few hours downtime at always the absolute worst times.

You want to get a proven mobo, a good amount of affordable memory, the best(not just most expensive) video card you can afford and a super stable psu with plenty of legroom.

In most instances a gamer will get more real value out of a nice new headset than a better cpu where a new build is concerned.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Originally posted by: brbdc
I read somewhere that 32 bit windows cannot take advantage of more than a certain amount of ram, that number being close to 4 gigs. Is that true?

32-bit XP and Vista (I make that distinction because 32-bit Server is different from what I understand) have a maximum of 4GB of address space. Some of that has to go to the video card (including all of its onboard memory) the sound card, and all your other peripherals. What's leftover is available for system memory. Generally that's somewhere between 3 and 3.5GB.