Need help catching email stalker at work

whistleclient

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2001
There's some asshole sending stalking emails to women at work. He's using a yahoo account through an account
at starpower.net. How do I get his name from yahoo?

Thanks

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Talk tot he police and have them obtain a warrant. If they give you his name for anything less Id start a boycot.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
As n0cmonkey said, but for different reasons, you really need to get the police involved.
At the very least, this guy is an a$$ and deserves it.
At the worst, this could be a stepping stone to far more serious crimes against these women.

Of course, you don't have to give your real name to sign up for a yahoo account, but they could help you track him down through ip addresses, etc.
I do agree that I would be very concerned if yahoo helped ID this guy with less then a court order.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

<< As n0cmonkey said, but for different reasons, you really need to get the police involved.
At the very least, this guy is an a$$ and deserves it.
At the worst, this could be a stepping stone to far more serious crimes against these women.

Of course, you don't have to give your real name to sign up for a yahoo account, but they could help you track him down through ip addresses, etc.
I do agree that I would be very concerned if yahoo helped ID this guy with less then a court order.
>>

I didnt mean for it to sound like that was the only reason. Things like this should always go to the police, better safe than sorry.

CSFM

Oct 16, 2001
Find yourself a good virus... send it to his Email account via a reply... when he opens it, BAM... you have got him! (Provided he opens it at work). If not you will pi$$ him off enough to most likely stop him from Emailing these poor women.
Just a though... I don't recommend sending viruses to anyone... so if your going to send him a virus make sure you don't do too much damage.

hmmmm.... I think that is probably not a really good idea if you don't know what your going to be dealing with... make sure you get yourself a nice harmless virus..........

I am not too sure if this is good advice for the unknown... but it is what I would do. LOL ;)

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
CSFM, that could potentially provoke him to do something. He should let the police deal with it and then worry when they say they cant do anything about it. Plus yahoo mail does virus scanning.

CSFM

Oct 16, 2001
Yeah, I guess your right... Police first...But the suggestion is valid if you can get the virus past Yahoo's virus checker. I have several virus' on floppy disk now... I have started to collect all the ones I get sent... more as a reference for the future than to invoke havoc on the unsuspecting user.
I find them to be quite intriguing. ;)

n0cmonkey Are you going to get Elite stutus yet or what!!?!

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

<< Yeah, I guess your right... Police first...But the suggestion is valid if you can get the virus past Yahoo's virus checker. I have several virus' on floppy disk now... I have started to collect all the ones I get sent... more as a reference for the future than to invoke havoc on the unsuspecting user.
I find them to be quite intriguing. ;)
>>

I had atleast one that I got sent, but I think I lost it in my upgrade. Guess I need to pay attention to what I backup properly and what I dont :p

<< n0cmonkey Are you going to get Elite stutus yet or what!!?! >>

There are people that deserve it much more than me. There is a thread in networking about ScottMac. My name has been mentioned, but he deserves it way before me.

CSFM

Oct 16, 2001
There are people that deserve it much more than me. There is a thread in networking about ScottMac. My name has been mentioned, but he deserves it way before me.

I was reading that thread earlier this morning. I agree that there are a few people here that are just a little hard done by... but as long as we know who there are, who cares about labels anyway! ;)

I could send you these virus' if you like...LOL NOT
I would never do that... I hope you do realise that I am joking! :p

CSFM

Oct 16, 2001
I have recently installed Win2K at home and I have no problems with security... but.. I am looking to get a new anti-virus program as I haven't got one running at the moment. I can get Norton 2001 and I am toying with the Australian program called VET. Have you got any suggestions as to what is a good anti-virus program that is reasonably priced? And something that is international as I am Australian.

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
norton av 2002 or mcaffee. i would be amazed if neither is available there. i use norton 2001 because i am a poor student, but really you should have 2002 as you limit the purpose by having an out-of date antivirus, the most virulent ones are the new ones :) plz remember to use the automatic update for it too, to make sure it has all the most recent 'definitions' (what it uses to detect viruses)

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
oh and the original post - involve the police. if i knew another way i wouldnt even tell you because you yourself could be attempting malice, no offence, but you see my point :)