Need help buying a new router!

icyxwindz

Jul 24, 2002
I'm in the market to replace my really old linksys access point router.

i'm not a big networking guy but know the basics on how to set it up and get it running.

Hoping someone with more knowledge about routers can give me a pointer and tell me the difference and suggest a router.

So what is the difference between these 3 models? (all linksys)

WRT330N

WRT310N

WRT160N

I'm going to be using this router for my home, and i have quite a few computers. i think theres probably 3 that is still thru the cat5 cable. and 4 wireless, only 1 has the N which is my macbook.

Also my computer is the one usually on and uses the most bandwidth with gaming and dls, etc. I noticed my cat5 cable wasn't done correctly and I had to set my network to 10mbps instead of 100 or full. etc. I THINK that only effects the file transfer rate within the network, but does that slow or cap out the speed of my ability of my bandwidth? IF so, should i switch to a N card?

Sorry if i wasn't clear, I greatly appreciate some input and help. thanks in advance. let me know if something wasn't clear and ill edit the post.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
You seem set on a N router, and all 3 of these only work at 2.4GHz. The new N spec calls for 5.8GHz support, so I would pass on these for that alone.

icyxwindz

Jul 24, 2002
Muadib, what do you reccomend? well i thought upgrading to the N might be useful for near future wireless stuff I have. I don't understand the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz that well. i thought it was just the frequency? i know the 2.4 competes with other appliances in the house and is not as good as the 5.8, does this mean future N products will only be 5.8GHz?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
N would be helpful fo r the near future if there was an N.

There is No N Now there is Draft N, that might or might Not be compatible with the future 802.11n

So unless you have Verizon FIOS and need to use it with Wireless, or a need for special high Bandwitdh for short distance local transfer, there is No point blowing you money on Draft-N.

Otherwise I would go with this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/...181218&Tpk=zyxel%2b550

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: icyxwindz
Muadib, what do you reccomend? well i thought upgrading to the N might be useful for near future wireless stuff I have. I don't understand the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz that well. i thought it was just the frequency? i know the 2.4 competes with other appliances in the house and is not as good as the 5.8, does this mean future N products will only be 5.8GHz?
The problem is that these aren't N products that you are looking at, they are draft N. That means they may or may not work with the 802.11n products that are coming out soon. That means if you decide to buy a draft N product, you are taking a gamble. Do you want to bet $100 to $120 that your draft N product will work with the 802.11n stuff thats on the way? I thought about it, and decided to wait.

If you can't wait though, I recommend that you look for reviews for whatever product you are looking to buy. Having said that, when I was looking, I was torn between the D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router, & the Trendnet TEW-633GR. They are pretty much the same, but the 633GR has a 3 year warranty, vs 1 year for the DIR-655.

They both have a 10/100/1000 switch, like 2 of the 3 linksys routers you posted do. I don't have a problem with the 3 routers you picked, but I couldn't find a review on 2 of them. If you go to Smallnetbuilder, you will find reviews on the 2 I picked.