Need help ASAP: Smaller NB heatsink/fan for Intel 865

zodder

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
www.jpcompservices.com
Hi all. I'm hoping somebody can help me. The NB hs/f on my mobo (MSI 865PE Neo2-P) has a huge passive heatsink that doesn't allow me to use the Zalman coolers on my cpu. Is there a good low profile hs/f that I can use to replace the stock one? It has the wire clips, not the pins. TIA!

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
The Vantec is pretty nice, but you'd have to use the included thermal tape to attach the HSF unit. Most of the aftermarket wire mount units are pretty big (tall) and may not help for your problem.

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
Originally posted by: jjmIII
The Vantec is pretty nice, but you'd have to use the included thermal tape to attach the HSF unit. Most of the aftermarket wire mount units are pretty big (tall) and may not help for your problem.

that aint gonna work.

zodder

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
www.jpcompservices.com
What about a VGA cooler for it? I really want to get rid of the Intel fan because it's the only thing making a racket. How about PC Power & Cooling Silencer fan for the stock cooler?

zodder

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
www.jpcompservices.com
Unfortunatley I have the Zalman installed on my A64 rig now. However, I do know that the NB heatsink needs to be <= inch tall. The current one is 1.6 inches and it isn't even close. :(

AWhackWhiteBoy

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2004
well do you really need the zalman? if so,i'd asume its because you want to overclock? and if you overclock you will probably need something decent on the north bridge... why not leave the zalman in the AMD 64?

zodder

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
www.jpcompservices.com
I'm definitely keeping the Zalman in the A64. It's working beautifully and the temps are perfect. I want one on my Intel rig too because the cooling-to-quiet ratio of the Zalman is absolutely awesome. I have 4 comps in a small room and making it quieter without losing performance is my main goal. I wonder if I can just hacksaw the NB cooler until it fits...? I really don't want it to look like ass, though. :)

AWhackWhiteBoy

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2004
there are plenty of other quiet, cheaper solutions for intel cpus if you look around, i wouldn't go so far as to downgrade the north bridge cooler just to use a certain heatsink esp if your not even overclocking.

zodder

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
www.jpcompservices.com
I'm running my 2.6C@3.25 right now, but temps aren't that big a problem. Aida32 reads 46C under full load (SETI x 2). I just want something a little quieter than the Intel fan. I have a spare 80mm PC Power and Cooling Silencer fan that I'll try to mount on the retail heatsink. I'm hoping that might work just as well, but without the noise.

AWhackWhiteBoy

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2004
what are your FSB settings? did you bump that or is it purely multiplier(if thats even possible on the P4,i dunno much about them)?

MichaelZ

Oct 12, 2003
you can't adjust the multiplier on retail intel CPUs. only the engineering samples come with an unlocked multiplier.

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
did a loop break off of the moboard?
does it have 4 loops?

EDIT: i see ~ only 2 loops.
if one broke off, youll need to fix it.