Need help/advise on ASUS CUSL2/PIII700e @ 1GHz stability problem

Mode

Sep 5, 2000
I'm running a PIII(cB0 stepping)700@933MHz on CUSL2 at 1.65v using Intel retail h/f, 64MB Hyundai PC133 RAM(cas 3), Geforce 256 DDR, SBLive Value!, 8.4GB Seagate HDD. At 933, i can play any game and it pass the 3DMark2000 with 6477+ score. I can load windows at 1000MHz or 1008MHz(at 1.7v) but I cannot play any game. I tried increasing the voltage up to 1.85v but had the same problem.

Could this be because of the cas 3 Hyundai ram or the limitation of my PIII700e processor??? I hope you could help me in making my cup run stable at 1000MHz.

Should I find a new Heatsink/fan? Can this help me to be stable at 1GHz? Or should I find PC150 RAM ?

Any suggestion/help is appreciated.
Thanks

Zipperhead

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2000
If it resets back to the desktop when you try an play a game,its because
your cpu just cannot run at that speed.

Zip

MoneyMINTR

Oct 23, 1999
Here's what I normally do.

1st. GET a new heatsink/fan before you do anything.

2nd. Load windows at your desired speed. Then run a CPU intensive program to see if it's stable. I normally crunch RC5 (dnetc.exe, there are others like Prime95). If it's stable for ~2 hours then your CPU at that speed should be fine.

3rd. If your processor is fine, then try different memory.

-MM
P3 700E @ 1000MHz

subhuman

Aug 24, 2000
I have the same setup, and couldn't hit a gighz before this CUSL2 board. I think it might have been either the slotket, or the extra gap from putting thermal paste between my copper spacer and the CPU. When I remounted the CPU to this new board, I only put the paste directly on the core, I think I got the Golden Orb closer to the core w/o thermal paste under my copper spacer... My previous absolute limit, at any voltage, was 980mhz. Now, 1008/1009mHz (144 bus) is no problem...

Reapr

Sep 10, 2000
You may consider underclocking your geforce as you are running your AGP bus over 66mhz. Since the problem you mentioned happens during games, and when playing 3d games your vid card is working hard. I know the geforce is fairly tolerant, but it is something to consider...

Mode

Sep 5, 2000
Thanks a lot for your help.

I will try to follow your advise now and will post the results and new findings as soon as possible.

I was able to run CPU stability test @ 1GHz for more than 6hrs the other day before it gave an erro saying "fatal erro" and stop the test.

When I try to play games like UT or Dues EX it gave messgess like &quot;History:UObject::StaticAllocateObject <-(Function AnimEnd) <- UObject::StaticConstructObeject <- ULinkerLoad ....&quot;. It never load into the game.

However, Quake Arena III can be loaded but in the middle it freeze my computer. I wonder whether this comes from the memory side or the CPU it self?????

overdoze

Aug 16, 2000
can't be your ram. you can prove it by reduce divider to 133:100:33. I had similar problem. The highest stable speed I could get is 950. Anything higher than that gave me prime95 errors

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'd like to know the difference and or tweaking you can do for this particular scenario. I know my profile says 700@1050 but I'm thinking about changing it as my setup is not TOTALLY stable at this speed. I can run prime95 and other CPU tests forever but I get full computer freeze during some games after about 20 minutes.

What is the difference system-wise between CPU intensive programs like prime95 and quakeIII and other OpenGL games? Given my degree in CS/EE i'm of the opinion that if a processor works then it works...period...if a gate doesn't open or place data on the bus then it crashes or reaches what we call in the engineering world as an unpredictable state, that is the registers or flip-flops being gated during a clock cycle that was unexpected. How can there be an in-between with CPU intensive vs. games. Can these stability problems (windows apps running fine, cpu apps running fine but Games having trouble) be related to temperature as they only show up during games at which point the geforce is putting out a fair amount of heat? Or is it simply that games use more of the ENTIRE system such as AGP bus, PCI bus, PCI cards - sound, network, more memory transfer. TIMING ERRORS only rear their ugly head during this kind of synchronization of all components? If we were to analyze a program like prime95 I'm sure you'd find VERY little being transfered betwwen mem and proc. Most work is being done inside the processor and the FPU.

I still don't know the definative answer to this, If it is heat related then I'll focus more on cooling however I don't want to waste my time fighting temps it that is truly not the case.

I would postulate that these kinds of problems are memory related due to the sheer amount of bits gated between memory and processor but I know for a fact that my system is stable up to 155 MHz fsb (tested with a 866/133 proc)

Any clues or can someone point to a thread or article that defines this specific problem?

thx

ps - &quot;I was able to run CPU stability test @ 1GHz for more than 6hrs the other day before it gave an erro saying &quot;fatal erro&quot; and stop the test. &quot; ---- that error in itself sounds like a CPU miss and your are definately at the limits of the proc.