Need HALP please - wake up alarm for hearing impaired!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: MegaVovaN
Originally posted by: Nohr
Maybe one of these vibrating alarm clocks would do the trick.

I have one of Shake Awake-The Vibrating or Audible Alarm Clock , but it's not very effective, I want something that would shake bed itself, and thise thing is pretty weak to do that. (What kind of shaking power did I expect from two AA batteries?)

If you want power attach an electric air compressor to the bottom of your bed with a timer set for the time you need to be up. It'll shake the wallpaper off the walls :D

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
edit: beds ARE separate. They are on floor I'm on queen bed.

edit2:
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
Maybe this?

as long as you sleep in separate beds
Packaged with our newest most powerful 12-volt bed shaker
Hmm, I like! Bed shaker!
Note, it's not genuinely a bed shaker. It's more like a souped up cellphone vibrator. Put it under your pillow. The first few times, it'll probably jar you awake in a hurry. Maybe it's more like having a 20lb bumblebee under your pillow.
Just disable the sound portion of the alarm, or be really careful not to accidentally set it. I've never heard it, but those things have a rating that's at least as loud, if not louder, than a smoke detector.

I used a vibrating alarm clock during a semester at college - I really wish I'd have had that brilliant idea, oh, I don't know, a few years sooner. People all over the place, yelling loudly about sports, stomping on the floor upstairs, playing guitars (electric or not), or just talking nonstop; well I couldn't wear earplugs, because then how would I hear the alarm clock. After about 2 years, that's when it finally dawned on me: "Well earplugs make be pretty well deaf.....deaf.....yeah, how does someone who's deaf wake up in the morning?" So I Google'd for "deaf alarm clock" and found the solution - a Sonic Boom alarm clock.

Other advice: get a UPS to go along with it. The clock has a battery backup, but the vibrating thing runs off a 12V adapter. If you're good with circuits, a more efficient route might be to just get a decent lead-acid battery charger, and hook the vibrator right to the battery. That bypasses the inefficiency (and cost) of having the UPS convert 120VAC to 12VDC for the battery, which is then converted back to 120VAC by an inverter, and back again to 12VDC by the power adapter, to feed the vibrator. Charger + battery = efficient backup. :)

If you really want to build a bed shaker, maybe get an old garage door opener and attach an offset weight to the shaft. Use a relay off of the Sonic Boom then to trigger it.
I guess that might wake up your parents too though.:D

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Captante
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
In the short term, any cell phone should have an alarm clock feature. Setting it to vibrate mode and finding a way to hold onto it or strap it to yourself could work.

Long term solution, after a certain age, sleeping in the same room as your parents is fucking creepy. You reached that age about 10 years ago. Find another place in the house to sleep.

edit: Your cell phone doesn't have a vibrate mode? You're SURE?

QFT

BUT THINK ABOUT THE SAVINGS! :confused:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
edit: beds ARE separate. They are on floor I'm on queen bed.

and this gets weirder

They don't mind floor, they have $450 memory foam mattress on it :)
And good stuff is that they don't stare at me since I am above & we can't see each other.

Dude, you are alone in your bed, it's probably better you aren't staring at them.

Jan 18, 2001
Use an appliance timer and some wire with alligator clips attached to the ends. Just attach a clamp to each nipple before you fall asleep and rest well assured that you'll be awake as soon as that timer hits 7 am.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Buy an air mattress with an electric pumb and connect the pumb to your timer and set it on ?deflate? so when the timer goes on the pumb will let all the air out of the matress, that should wake you up.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
Use an appliance timer and some wire with alligator clips attached to the ends. Just attach a clamp to each nipple before you fall asleep and rest well assured that you'll be awake as soon as that timer hits 7 am.

Connect the timer's AC output to an oil burner ignition transformer - 10,000 volts at 23mA. Wire the floating secondary side to chicken wire beneath the sheets. Sleeping in will be a thing of the past! ;)

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Juno
Originally posted by: Juno
why didn't you contact me?

Figured you'd find this thread anyway :thumbsup:

i'd suggest to go with any alarm from sonic boom. i have the very original sonic boom alarm clock (can be seen on the bottom of the page) and it serves me well since 2000. if i were to buy a new alarm, i would go for model sb300ss.

hope this link helps.

Is there much difference in vibration unit (strength) between $26 SB200 and $50 SB300ss alarms?

well, i don't know how much power you'll receive from sb200. i personally think sb300ss is better due to bigger led screen. the leds would even dim if alarm goes off. it has two different kind of vibration; steady and pulse. it also includes three different kind of outlets you want to wake up from; lamp, vibration and both. volume and tone are there as well. it has a lot of features you can choose from. it's not going to hurt you though.

but one small con is sometimes alarm doesn't go off. it happened to me like maybe 5 times every year. so just bring an extra alarm in case. i wake up everyday via both of my clock and my phone.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
There is an alarm clock plugin for Winamp that will start playing music at a preset time. Put a subwoofer under your bed and have the computer play something like superbasstest.mp3 and it should make you think there's an earthquake.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Off topic question: do you have a special cell phone that's louder than normal, or can hear on a regular one?
2nd off topic question: why do you sleep in the same room as your parents? (not judging, just curious)

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Off topic question: do you have a special cell phone that's louder than normal, or can hear on a regular one?
2nd off topic question: why do you sleep in the same room as your parents? (not judging, just curious)

Reading comprehension FTL.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Steve
There is an alarm clock plugin for Winamp that will start playing music at a preset time. Put a subwoofer under your bed and have the computer play something like superbasstest.mp3 and it should make you think there's an earthquake.

A better idea is an Buttkicker instead of the subwoofer. An actual subwoofer would be too loud and would wake everybody else up.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Raduque
Originally posted by: Steve

A better idea is an Buttkicker instead of the subwoofer. An actual subwoofer would be too loud and would wake everybody else up.

hah nice idea :D

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Who sleeps in the other bedroom?

I'd just sleep out on a coach and use the timer to turn on some lights in that room.

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
UPDATE:

I set my cell phone to use audible alarm at 7:15 am.
That web site should call me 7:00 am (vibe).

I have to wake up only 4 times a week, mon-thursday, so I didn't get to test the web site/sound alarm yet (at 7:15 cell phone sound alarm is okay since by then everybody in the room should be up.)

My slightly younger brother sleeps in other bedroom. It is smaller than mine & my parent's bedroom, we decided to give him his own room because everybody got tired libing with him: he lives like a pig. Unwashed dishes, trash, clothes, etc - room is a complete mess. I used to live in same room as him before and said fuck it I'd rather live with parents.

Buttkicker??! ZOMG I GOTTA CHECK THAT OUT!!!

Deflating mattress? Pretty cool but != cheap.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
If everyone (by everyone, just your mom and dad?) in the room should be up by 7:15am, why do your parents not want to wake you up at 7am? If they get up at 7:15am, I'd just sleep till then and have them wake me up then, and move a little faster getting ready (although I don't know what that means for a guy... I put on clothes and contacts, do sub, grab an apple or something simple, then I bounce).

I'd still choose sleeping in the room with little bro. Beat his ass and tell him to clean that crap up. When my older brother and I lived in the same room for a while (bunk beds), I'd pretty much obey him on things cause he could beat my ass anyway if he wanted to. So lay down the lay with him. My parents would've never let me have a trashed room (especially dirty dishes and garbage) at a young age. They owned the house, they supported me, so the least I could do was obey them about a clean room.

That said, I'd still sleep on a coach in the living room. And skip that 8am.. fuck waking up early, I hate that crap. And beat little brothers ass just for good measure.

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Originally posted by: duragezic
If everyone (by everyone, just your mom and dad?) in the room should be up by 7:15am, why do your parents not want to wake you up at 7am? If they get up at 7:15am, I'd just sleep till then and have them wake me up then, and move a little faster getting ready (although I don't know what that means for a guy... I put on clothes and contacts, do sub, grab an apple or something simple, then I bounce).

Actually mom leaves at 6AM.
Brother (in other room) sleeps till 8.
Dad is supposed to wake up at 7:15 or 7:30, depending on the day. He does NOT kick me awake at same time when he wakes up :| IDK why, maybe he wants to use restroom/sink before me?

My morning routine is like this:
1. Get up
2. Restroom
3. Boil water
4. Make black tea
5. Drink tea with something while getting a peek of whats new on the Internet (email, forums) - my large table allows this, in fact I always eat at my computer table.
6. Bounce

edit: Maybe if everything is bad I'll go to living room.

My brother is only 1.5 years younger than me (I'm 19), so beating his ass might not be easy. Besides I'm moving outta here shortly (in 1 or 3 years). Parents were not strict enough with him, and I don't wanna do their job. It's too late.

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
I'm not gonna beat his ass.

I don't mind waking up early, I MADE my classes start at 8am (partially so Dad would drive me to campus instead of me taking the bus+walking). Couple kicks to bed is all I need to start my day ;)

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Injury
So... if it's a two BR place... why aren't you in the other bedroom?

Umm I don't know, perhaps because there are 4 people living in the place?