Need For Speed Game recommendations? Help (PC)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I haven't played Need For Speed since whatever game last came out on the Playstation 2.

What I am really looking for is a game that has Standard cars like Honda, Ford, Subaru. I was looking online and don't want a NFS game that has all the half million dollar cars and you start out with an expensive car. I really want something I can build my self up from, like starting from the bottom up to a really nice car. Kinda like the Old school NFS on PS2.

What NFS games would you guys suggest?

NOTE: I don't want to buy the new one because I don't have a lot of money right now, just looking for something to play from time to time.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
The only ones worth your time are either the new Hot Pursuit (2010) or Most Wanted (2012) and maybe Rivals (2013).

The series hasn't had very good reception in more recent years, mostly due to EA marketing direction, wonky controls, and annoying online gameplay. One of the newest ones, just "Need for Speed" has a lot of nice customization but the game itself is aggravatingly immature and features obnoxious characters in a really annoying city where it's always night time.

I haven't tried Payback but it probably follows closely to the game that came out prior.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I wouldn't suggest NFS at all at this point. If you're looking for a game where you can build a car up, I'd suggest Gran Turismo or Forza. Assuming you're wanting to play on PC (given the subforum), and given the desire for cheaper, that would make the only potential option Forza 6 which is available for $30. That is however closed track racing, no open world.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
The only ones worth your time are either the new Hot Pursuit (2010) or Most Wanted (2012) and maybe Rivals (2013).

The series hasn't had very good reception in more recent years, mostly due to EA marketing direction, wonky controls, and annoying online gameplay. One of the newest ones, just "Need for Speed" has a lot of nice customization but the game itself is aggravatingly immature and features obnoxious characters in a really annoying city where it's always night time.

I haven't tried Payback but it probably follows closely to the game that came out prior.
Thank you for narrowing down the list. Given that I looked into those three titles and all seem to start you off with High End Class cars it seems they aren't the game I am looking for. Would love to have something where I start with a Nissan or Honda and then build up to something nicer.

I wouldn't suggest NFS at all at this point. If you're looking for a game where you can build a car up, I'd suggest Gran Turismo or Forza. Assuming you're wanting to play on PC (given the subforum), and given the desire for cheaper, that would make the only potential option Forza 6 which is available for $30. That is however closed track racing, no open world.

Never played Forza will look into it, thanks for input.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
What a retard? I just realized for the first time Origin Access and they have a Vault with 95+ including bunch of NFS games. Its $5 per month or $30 per year. I am about to sign up for a Month just to play the NFS games. Crazy saw it all this time but never paid it any mind.

The "Vault" has lots of great games too. What a pleasant surprise.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I wouldn't suggest NFS at all at this point. If you're looking for a game where you can build a car up, I'd suggest Gran Turismo or Forza.

Didn't realize we could play the "games that are much better than NFS" card... :D

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Didn't realize we could play the "games that are much better than NFS" card... :D

It's always a good card to play. I played NFS since the beginning. I want to say the original Hot Pursuit is where they started losing me.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Well got Oirgin access (vault) for $5=1 month and its a pretty good deal. They have 3 NFS games but the first one I downloaded was Most Wanted (late 2012) and wow what a huge disappointment it was. I ended up deleting it after 20 minutes. Controls were unresponsive, the graphics were Trash IMO (Sorry) and I hated the fact that you start out with a High End Car. I miss the Old NFS games where you worked your self up and had street cars. Now its all Porche, Corvette, and the top tier cars. I think there is some lower end models but its only a few and you don't start out with it.

Off Topic 100% but I am stuck playing Simcity (Origin access) I do plan on trying out NFS (2015) Deluxe Edition see if that's a little different. Man what a deal though $5 and I get to play up to 95 games for an entire month. I sunk in 45 hours into Simcity 5 in the past 4 days straight, can't put it down. Off topic sorry.

Anyway glad I didn't buy Most Wanted (2012) what a pile of trash it is. Even the First NFS on (OG)XBox is 10x better than this pile of trash.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I think you're not familiar with the history of the series. The "old" NFS was all top tier cars. The car list for the original Need For Speed was:

Acura NSX, Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, Dodge Viper RT-10, Ferrari 512TR, Lamborghini Diablo VT, Mazda RX-7,
Porsche 911 Carrera, Toyota Supra, Warrior PTO E/2 (fictional car).

The first one that would match what you're describing is Underground which was the 7th game in the series. If that's what you're looking for, the game closest to that (IMO) would be Forza. Test Drive Unlimited would also fit the bill but their servers shut down.

On the SimCity front, I'd check out Cities Skylines if you're into that kind of game.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I think you're not familiar with the history of the series. The "old" NFS was all top tier cars. The car list for the original Need For Speed was:

Acura NSX, Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, Dodge Viper RT-10, Ferrari 512TR, Lamborghini Diablo VT, Mazda RX-7,
Porsche 911 Carrera, Toyota Supra, Warrior PTO E/2 (fictional car).

The first one that would match what you're describing is Underground which was the 7th game in the series. If that's what you're looking for, the game closest to that (IMO) would be Forza. Test Drive Unlimited would also fit the bill but their servers shut down.

On the SimCity front, I'd check out Cities Skylines if you're into that kind of game.

It is precisely NFS Underground. I couldn't remember the name, I had to look it up. This was the first NFS game I played and I really liked it back when it had first came out on the OG Xbox.

To my Huge surprise just downloaded NFS 2015 and its way better than NFS Most wanted. Its crazy what a few years of difference can make for a video game. (Sometimes for good others for bad)
At my surprise the game is amazing, its exactly what I was looking for in a NFS game. Yes I only played for about 40 minutes tonight but what a pleasant surprise. It is so much like Underground. Right after the video introduction you actually get to pick 3 cars.
1) Honda Civic Type R [2000]
2) Ford Mustang [1990]
3) Subaru BRZ Premium [2014]

I know No one cares, I understand but I am so happy right now. This is what I was looking for. I of course picked the Honda Civic Type R. You can do custom paint job on the whole car, just like you could in Underground. I didn't see Window Tint colors or Neon lights but they could be in there as well if not that's the least of it.

The graphics are a big step up from NFS Most Wanted 2012. The Controls feel very responsive as well. I am in Love. Can't wait to play all day tomorrow, going to give Simcity 5 a break.

I am so happy. Its been a very long time since I felt so happy from a buying a video game. $5 for a Month subscription its so worth it.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. I have found just what I was asking about and looking for.
Cheers guys!

This the game I am talking about now, just in case.
347.png

4krtj158n

Jan 10, 2018
Need for speed most wanted series both games are too good to play. Game mechanics storyline and car modification are beyond imagination especially when you are on a heist. Game graphics and HDR which amplifies +1 for the game.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Need for speed most wanted series both games are too good to play. Game mechanics storyline and car modification are beyond imagination especially when you are on a heist. Game graphics and HDR which amplifies +1 for the game.
Might be right but it wasn't for me. I uninstalled Most Wanted (2012) right after 25 minutes and I am not going back. Now NFS 2015 that game is amazing in my opinion for a NFS game it has everything I was looking for on a NFS game, very much enjoying it.

Jan 15, 2018
Play Need for Speed Payback it is a good game with good story and gameplay. Need for Speed games are always fun to play especially with good soundtracks.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
the second Hot Pursuit was pretty good. Mostly for ramming civilians. The Racer career wasnt so much fun.

But I think Forza Horizon 3 is probably overall more entertaining. Aside from the tedious unskippable cutscenes you're forced to endure.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Alright awesome! I keep hearing lots of good things about Forza Horizon 3 going to check it out when funds are available. Thanks guys!

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
need for speed most wanted is the best need for speed ive played. Forza wow boring. NFSMW was free lots of times on origin (yea its annoying to use but free games i bit for 2x login.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The only racing game I've really liked is Burnout: Paradise. It's a decade old now on PC but I got the remastered PS4 version and it's great.

Jan 10, 2018
Play Need for Speed Payback it is a good game with good story and gameplay. Need for Speed games are always fun to play especially with good soundtracks.
Payback was okishhhh not that up to the mark as expected it was more likely playing a fast and furious version of nfs.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
If you looking for an open world racer that's fun to play then check out Forza Horizon 3. From your post I could feel that you are like me an old NFS 2 fan who is looking for the same enjoyment he got from NFS as a kid, but can't find it. I feel the same way I had stopped playing racing games because as a genre they stopped being fun. But the Forza Horizon series has pulled me back the races, the tracks, the graphics, gameplay; its fun tranformed in to a racing game.
Oh okay! when I get funds I'll buy it keep hearings lots about it.

Payback was okishhhh not that up to the mark as expected it was more likely playing a fast and furious version of nfs.
Playing Need for Speed 2015, its pretty good. I hear Payback is better. Will see when I get funds.