Need dog info: small dogs

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Hello all,

my friend's family wants to get a puppy.

They need a small dog that is:

not too hyper, smart, and doesn't shed much.

do any small dogs fit this criteria?

i know that Malteses don't shed much, but they're not terribly smart (i have one).

I dunno about any other small breed. need some info!

thanks

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I like Boston Terriers. They don't shed much, are highly intelligent, but as puppies can be a little high-strung but not as bad as chihuahua's or poodles.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
dachshund? I guess they're supposed to be fairly average as far as intelligence goes, but they're small, not hyper, and I don't think they shed a lot.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
I like Boston Terriers. They don't shed much, are highly intelligent, but as puppies can be a little high-strung but not as bad as chihuahua's or poodles.

Good choice, that's what I was going to recommend.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: DarkManXY2G
Originally posted by: Hoober
What about a Jack Russel Terrier?

I thought those dogs were very hyper dogs and never run out of energy. I could be wrong though.

I dont' know. Very possible. But they are very smart and they don't shed much. Two out of three isn't bad. ;)

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
No!!!!

Get a Lhaso Apso!! They are sooooooooo cute! When they are small they look like little stuffed bears :heart:

But when they older they can get nasty. Ah.. just let it loose in the woods. That what we did!

:cool:

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
Rule about dogs:

If it is smaller than a breadbox, it isn't a dog, it is a rat on a string.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Jack Russell Terrriers are great but are VERY VERY HYPER.
They're also so smart that if you're not very firm with them they'll end up running the house. Not a good choice, IMO.

My vote would be for a Bichon Frise. They're smart, but not unmanageable. Very friendly. Tough enough to take hiking or whatever. They don't really shed or stink much since they have hair, not fur. Great little dogs. My critters are half Bichon and half King Charles Spaniel.

I'd actually highly recommend the KCS as well, but you have to really screen the breeders well or you may get a dog prone to heart problems at a relatively early age.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Tyler
dachshund? I guess they're supposed to be fairly average as far as intelligence goes, but they're small, not hyper, and I don't think they shed a lot.
I've seen several dachshunds in dog training, and they make pretty smart dogs (though it can be hard to see whether they're sitting or standing ;)). They're not the kind of dog that sits around the house all day and does nothing, though, but they're not too hyper. :)

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
In general most small dogs will be more hyper than larger dogs but of course there are exceptions. Also, your toy and terrier breeds will be more active and high-strung.

How about a beagle? They are fairly small, highly intelligent, and they also don't shed much.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
My Beagle fits those criteria, but I think he's calmer than most Beagles. Also, he's not as smart as, say, a Jack Russell, although he's learned every command I've taught him pretty easily.

No matter what breed you get, there is no guarantee as to the temperament or intelligence level of the individual dog. :)

Oh, and http://www.dogbreedinfo.com is a good site to check out for, well, dog breed info. :p

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: jliechty
Originally posted by: Tyler
I've seen several dachshunds in dog training, and they make pretty smart dogs (though it can be hard to see whether they're sitting or standing ;)). They're not the kind of dog that sits around the house all day and does nothing, though, but they're not too hyper. :)
Not a great dog if you have smaller kids around. They tend to be kinda high-strung and can be biters as a result of this.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: TheEvil1
all amall dogs I have known BARK all the fukin time. and would make better footballs then pets

<insert obligatory link to Umbro soccer commercial here>

Anyone got it mirrored or available for upload? :D

- M4H

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
all amall dogs I have known BARK all the fukin time. and would make better footballs then pets

- M4H
"You kick my dog!!! I kill you!!" :p

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Fausto1

- M4H
"You kick my dog!!! I kill you!!" :p

:D

My g/f has two dogs, one of which is a 10-year-old, incredibly cranky, ankle-biting Lhasa Apso (or as I call them, Lazy Assholes). It's gotten a "gentle nudge" more than once after taking a chunk out of my foot. Damn thing thinks if you're within 15 feet of it, you're going to take its rawhide away.

/goes off to put Umbro commercial on his FTP

- M4H

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
All this talk about small dogs. Now way would I own one smaller than 35 lbs. I inherhited one from my ex. Missy is a "small dog" she is 30lbs, but she packs a wallop. She has sled dog in her, so for her size, she is powerful, and has teeth that will do what they were meant for. You break in my house at night, not only will you have my 80lb Black Lab to contend with, but a 30 lb buzz saw ripping your arms and legs apart.

To me a dog has 2 functions in a home.

1. Be a member of the family. All dogs bond with owners who treat them well.
2. Protect the family. Even the most timid of dogs will give their lives to protect their family.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
ATOT me :D

Anonymous login, active FTP if passive doesn't work, and no streaming.

- M4H

No streaming? What kind of half-cocked operation are you running here? ;)

Alright... I'm calling PETA!

cressida

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2000
Another vote for Boston Terrier or Bichon Frise. I have two friends and they each have a Bichon and they don't seem too hyper. My friend just bought a Boston Terrier , sorry about quality of picture (it was with a webcam).
Text