Need Car Accident Advice

TheNetAnalyst

Oct 22, 2007
My roomate was in a car accident with a rental car in February this year. He was driving toward downtown Cleveland and large amounts of snow ran off onto the highway. His car hydroplaned and collided with another car. Both cars were totaled. The other vehicle owner is suing the rental insurance and my friend just received a letter from the rental insurance company to expect a summons.

Other factors:

Rental Car tire pressure light was on. Enterprise stated that they checked the pressure and that everything was fine.

The car was towed by the city and my friend could not get his prescription medications out of the vehicle for over a week.

The city usually puts a high water sign up in that area, but the sign was not put up until after the accident.

No one was cited in the police report.

Both drivers sustained minor sprains and bruises and we're taken to the ER.

No one has a clear idea of exactly how the accident happened.

Does my friend need a lawyer or is he ok since he bought the the car rental insurance? Any suggestions?

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Sounds to me like he's going to be ok since it was a rental and he bought the insurance.

It's more an issue between Enterprise and the other driver. Enterprise will likely pay the other driver, but no matter what your friend sounds like he's not personally liable due to the road conditions and insurance.

As far as his pills ect, thats just a part of the deal. Nothing to be said about that, pretty typical of the way things roll for us peons.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Your friend is liable from an insurance standpoint. However, unless he is personally named in the suit, it's the insurance company that the other party will be collecting from.

Your friend is also incredibly lucky that he was not cited. Nine times out of ten in that situation the driver who hydroplaned will be cited for "failure to maintain control".

My recommendation is that your friend consult with a lawyer to find the extent of his liability. Chances are that he's OK, but he will need to talk with a lawyer to be sure.

ZV