Need board for ATI card

Silversolder

Feb 17, 2005
I'm having trouble deciding on a motherboard. OC is not a big thing with me, I just want a
sound reliable system.
I plan to use the ATI All In Wonder x1800xl card.
Someone told me to buy the EPOx Sli BOard and someone suggested the
Asus A8N-Sli Premium Board.

But then someone said don't buy a Sli Boards if I'm going to use the ATI X1800XL
because it wouldn't work the ATI card. Is this correct? WIll the the ATI not work with
the SLI boards?

My plan is to use

Toledo 64X24400 Having trouble finding this without fan and heat sink(someone said to
use a better fan than the one supplied with the processor)
2gigs memory
Gigabyte tower Aurura
500 watt min PS
Onboard sound till I have the cash to buy a sound card.

grooge

Dec 23, 2004
The video card will work. SLI simply wont. so, if you don't plan having 2 video cards on your system, then SLI is pointless.

The SLI board is usually more expensive than a non SLI one that will work as good anyway. So it is your choice to pay for unused SLI feature or not.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: grooge
The video card will work. SLI simply wont. so, if you don't plan having 2 video cards on your system, then SLI is pointless.

The SLI board is usually more expensive than a non SLI one that will work as good anyway. So it is your choice to pay for unused SLI feature or not.

uhh i think u confused him by saying that the card will work but sli wont. ANY SLI Board can take any card. Its just when you want to pair them and link them in a scalible link interface that it gets different.

SLI is technology which belongs to NVIDIA.
X-FIRE is the counter part to SLI that belongs to ATI.
If ur going to use a ATI video card then a SLI board is completely usless to you unless u plan on upgrading to lets say a G70 nvidia card or even a future SLI Nvidia card, then sli might be a better option : NOTE KEYWORD NVIDIA

If ur planning on staying with ATI, id suggest u do a little bit more research on X-Fire boards. So far a few company makes them, but X-Fire can get more pricey then SLI.

incase ur really new to technology.. X-FIRE = CROSSFIRE.

I hope this helps u out a bit

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Toledo 64X24400 Having trouble finding this without fan and heat sink(someone said to
use a better fan than the one supplied with the processor)
2gigs memory
Gigabyte tower Aurura
500 watt min PS
Onboard sound till I have the cash to buy a sound card.

The 4400 should probably come with the newer AMD cooler, which is apparently very good. There is a thread on it in the cases/cooling forum.

Silversolder

Feb 17, 2005
Thanks for all the help guys. You have made things a lot clearer here.
This forum is great. When I finally get ready for start up I hope all the great help is still around.

PianoMan

Jan 28, 2006
Been a lurker in the forum for quite some time, but I've finally registered. Here's my two cents, Silver:

- AFAIK, ATI market Crossfire editions of each of their boards, and I don't think the AIW line is Crossfire capable. Someone can correct me here if I'm wrong.
- aigomorla has explained the Crossfire/SLI lingo, and if you're really looking at Crossfire, we're talking just a few boards out there currently with the Radeon XPRESS 200 chipset. Take a look at NewEgg.com and search motherboards; Socket 939; and put a keyword "Crossfire" and you should have something to chew on.
- I think it's quite a good idea to buy and Crossfire/SLI board now with one card if you plan on adding another card as prices drop. It seems to make sense, $$$ wise.
- You most likely won't find a AMD Athlon 64 processor without it's stock HSF for sale. AMD has moved from the "gray market" chip selling (i.e., OEM chips by themselves, or "pulls" from working systems) to pure retail. If you're really hell bent on not getting the HSF, I'd look at eBay.

Good luck.

PM

dalearyous

Jan 8, 2006
heres a question though, if your going to buy radeon card (lets say 1900xt) will you get better performance buying crossfire mobo?

even if you have no intention of buying 2nd ati card to take advantage of xfire

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: dalearyous
heres a question though, if your going to buy radeon card (lets say 1900xt) will you get better performance buying crossfire mobo?

even if you have no intention of buying 2nd ati card to take advantage of xfire

the radeon x200 chipset is actually pretty dayam good. It keeps up and sometimes even beats the NF4 boards.

Also the keyword is upgradable! If for whatever moment u want more power, and you im assuming is a guy, and to guys you can never have TOO much power, the option to upgrade is always open.

If you have the extra 50-100 id suggest get a better board. If ur on a really tight budget. then u shouldnt even bother looking at the X1900XL.

Silversolder

Feb 17, 2005

If you have the extra 50-100 id suggest get a better board. If ur on a really tight budget. then u shouldnt even bother looking at the X1900XL.

All the talk of the voltage problems on the crossfire boards scares me.
What would be the better board?