Need Advise: Direct2Drive ripping off customers. (Filed Complaint).

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Alright, I purchased the game, Supreme Commander Gold Edition, twice (one for me, the other for my brother). We purchased it on Direct2Drive ( from IGN Entertainment games.)

We purchased the games, installed them, and two weeks later - after beating the campaigns - we decided to go online. Guess what? The CD Keys were IDENTICAL. Now Direct2Drive sells "gold editions" as individual games. So if you bought a "Gold Edition", you essentially get the original game plus its expansion pack(s) as seperate games for you to download.

So here we are, two gold editions, or 4 games with 4 serial numbers. All identical. We discovered this when we tried to play online and it said "CD Key in use". I filed a complaint, pretty furiously. Not only did they charge my credit card for the two purchases with identical serial numbers, their website never red flagged it prior to purchasing, there is no warning on their website pertaining to this... and it took a complaint in order for them to even give a damn about ripping me off.

Days later, I get a response, a dumb response. I pushed it further, my issue has now been passed on to the Associate Manager of Direct2Dirve. They, of course apologize for the inconvenience, say they'll fix it, and offer me $10. TEN DOLLARS in STORE CREDIT. Anyway, they said they would refund my money, and give me the $10 credit on the website. Of course the refund took days to get back to my account... and the $10 had to be spent in their store.

I pressed on further, saying that $10 was a joke. Suggesting that their marketing model was no different than selling games on the black market. You get a game, sell it on the street, and give them all copies of the information you got. So, guess what? This is now bumped up to another Associate Manager. Again, they say they will get "their programmers to fix this right away". They offer me $30 in store credit.

I don't want to take legal action for this.. but want to press this further - but don't want to take it too far. I'd like yall's suggestions on what I should do next. Should I suggest what I think my troubles are worth? (Two new games be kinda nice considering they tried scamming me out of two games, I'd be happy with that I guess)..

So what do you guys think I should do to respond to this $30 bribe? Something like I said above, or something else? (I don't want to cross the line!)... I mean, I don't even know what to say.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
it's exactly a bribe - it's like when you complain to the airlines or something and they offer you a free ticket/miles

just stop pushing it and use up your credit and stop

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
wow..way to get over excited. sounds like they made a mistake, otherwise, wouldn't everyone who bought it have the same key and wouldn't everyone run into the same problem?
I've had nothing but good experiences with D2D.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
wow..way to get over excited. sounds like they made a mistake, otherwise, wouldn't everyone who bought it have the same key and wouldn't everyone run into the same problem?

pretty sure this isn't the first time I've read about this

I think it had to do with ordering the same product multiple times on the same account

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
They made a mistake, you got your money back, a promise to fix the issue, and $30. You continue to bitch.

Um OK buddy.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
I don't want to take legal action for this.. but want to press this further - but don't want to take it too far. I'd like yall's suggestions on what I should do next. Should I suggest what I think my troubles are worth? (Two new games be kinda nice considering they tried scamming me out of two games, I'd be happy with that I guess)..

So what do you guys think I should do to respond to this $30 bribe? Something like I said above, or something else? (I don't want to cross the line!)... I mean, I don't even know what to say.

If the bolded is true, then I would recommend using up your credit and, if you still feel slighted, never using their service again. They did fix your problem and give you an additional credit, plus you have now informed the PC Gaming community here of this, so many of those that use their service are aware of the issue now and will use this information when deciding whether to continue using them or not.

Just my opinion, but I think you should move on now. :beer:

KT

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
so wait, you have an issue, you ask them, they fix it..give you a refund, 30$, AND you want more???

These are the people who continually ruin the court system in the US.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
D2D can suck a chode. I've never heard anything about them that would make me use them over any other service, or hell, retail.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Yea I'll probably just suck it up and take the 30. Imma go to work today and think it over.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Think it over? Think what over? You gonna hire Johnny Cochran from the grave to rep you in your $50 suit against D2D? What a joke. I'm not one for supporting companies against consumers but you create the very definition of "the customer IS NOT always right".

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Beev
D2D can suck a chode. I've never heard anything about them that would make me use them over any other service, or hell, retail.

in my personal experience with probably at least 7+ games with them, I have never felt slighted by them or anything.

They've always been prompt when I've reported a problem and they've even given me credits for problems i have encountered. I never expected them to give me a credit even after they fixed the problem, so it's a nice surprise.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Why are people giving the OP grief? This is clearly a scam or a serious issue where D2D is either using the same key and hoping people don't try to use them online, or they're selling a bulk key/license that is uncompatible with online play. Given their site says nothing about excluding online play and actually specifically mentions 1-8 multiplayer action, I'm leaning toward them reselling the same key.

From what I read, none of his keys work, if he got 1 to work online I could see the 2nd being an error. He also didn't mention if any of the keys were ever fixed for online play, instead, D2D offered a partial refund instead. Again, that hints they do not have valid keys for online play. If the Gold keys are not compatible with online play, D2D needs to clearly state that instead of selling licenses and keys that can't be used online.

OP, don't listen to all the negativity, if you really want a full refund and D2D isn't accomodating, just dispute the charge with your CC company. If you want to go a step further, contact the AG in whatever state D2D is incorporated.

Rangoric

Apr 5, 2006
Originally posted by: chizow
Why are people giving the OP grief? This is clearly a scam or a serious issue where D2D is either using the same key and hoping people don't try to use them online, or they're selling a bulk key/license that is uncompatible with online play. Given their site says nothing about excluding online play and actually specifically mentions 1-8 multiplayer action, I'm leaning toward them reselling the same key.

From what I read, none of his keys work, if he got 1 to work online I could see the 2nd being an error. He also didn't mention if any of the keys were ever fixed for online play, instead, D2D offered a partial refund instead. Again, that hints they do not have valid keys for online play. If the Gold keys are not compatible with online play, D2D needs to clearly state that instead of selling licenses and keys that can't be used online.

OP, don't listen to all the negativity, if you really want a full refund and D2D isn't accomodating, just dispute the charge with your CC company. If you want to go a step further, contact the AG in whatever state D2D is incorporated.

He got a refund + credit.

I don't think you read the OP.

450R

Feb 22, 2005
Why are people giving the OP grief?

Because he got his money back and a $30 apology. What else could you want? If he wants to get the word out about D2D's shady practices, then he's surely accomplished that here. The idea of taking this to court is ridiculously dramatic. In fact, IIRC, his acceptance of the refund means he can't take it to court but don't quote me on that.

By the way, Steam is also doing the same thing with GRAW2. Plenty of people (including myself) have submitted tickets and all Steam has said is "we'll fix it" - no refunds, no store credit. A refund is all I'm looking for.

OP: Shitty deal but in the end you came out on top. Let it be.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Originally posted by: novasatori
Originally posted by: pontifex

pretty sure this isn't the first time I've read about this

I think it had to do with ordering the same product multiple times on the same account

If this is correct, then isn't this an ongoing issue that D2D has not fixed?

I see no reason to continue pushing on them personally, but if this is not an isolated incident, then it's just another good reason not use their service.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: 450R
Why are people giving the OP grief?

Because he got his money back and a $30 apology. What else could you want? If he wants to get the word out about D2D's shady practices, then he's surely accomplished that here. The idea of taking this to court is ridiculously dramatic. In fact, IIRC, his acceptance of the refund means he can't take it to court but don't quote me on that.

By the way, Steam is also doing the same thing with GRAW2. Plenty of people (including myself) have submitted tickets and all Steam has said is "we'll fix it" - no refunds, no store credit. A refund is all I'm looking for.

OP: Shitty deal but in the end you came out on top. Let it be.
And the other guy, you're right I didn't read the part about actually getting a refund and thought he was only offered store credit. Still, my original point about this being shady as hell with keys that can't be used online is valid, and it sounds like you're having similar issues with Steam. To me the obvious solution would've been issuing keys that actually work online, the fact they didn't and instead offered refund + store credit indicates they do not have keys that work online and just have a single generic key. If that's the case, they need to clearly indicate their keys do not work for online multiplayer.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
He should inform Gas Powered Games and THQ. If Direct2Drive is selling keys multiple times they are ripping off the game developers.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
I haven't read any of the other responses, but I can't imagine they differ much from mine, which is: what the hell is your problem? They made a mistake, they're trying to fix it, and they're giving you money. What else did you want? In all your petulant whining, you never actually say what your expectations were. Not that it matter, of course, because what they've offered is beyond reasonable.

THAT SAID, Steam > D2D