Need advice on r9 290x

sebastian869

Aug 20, 2012
Which model is the best version as far as cooling is concerned? I know the ROG version is the best on all front
but its too expensive hoping for something in the 500+. Basically which is the best bang for the buck version of the 290x
(since all of the reading ive done makes it seem like the performance this board gets is by SUPER OCing)

Thanks

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I have a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X and the cooling is superb! The Vapor is even better.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Best coolers at the lowest premium are the Sapphire Tri-X and the Powercolor PCS+
Best US pricing

Both are better than the Asus because the coolers are actually designed for the 290X. The Asus coolers are just reused from the GK110 and aren't as efficient on Hawaii's smaller die.

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
Which model is the best version as far as cooling is concerned? I know the ROG version is the best on all front
but its too expensive hoping for something in the 500+. Basically which is the best bang for the buck version of the 290x
(since all of the reading ive done makes it seem like the performance this board gets is by SUPER OCing)

Thanks

I think the HIS card performed the best in closed case scenarios tested by Tom's Hardware a while ago, which is why I bought one and have been quite satisfied.

sebastian869

Aug 20, 2012
do u think these are accurate?

Asus Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II…………MSI R9 290X Lightning(One of Best Cooler)……Sapphire R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 DUAL DVI-D/HDMI/DP TRI-X OC Version PCI-Express Graphics Card 11226-00-40G,,,,,,R9 290X-DC2OC-4GD5,,,,,ROG MATRIX-R9 290X-P-4GD5

dunno how to lower the text size (read one review says 290x is horrible then another says its the best, its exaggerating obviously but driving me crazy)

DON’T GET THE R9 290X ASUS Matrix

damn wown let me past graphic chart of card temps at load.

found the link to the temp review of many cards:
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/powercolor_r9_290x_pcs_review/3

sebastian869

Aug 20, 2012
Best coolers at the lowest premium are the Sapphire Tri-X and the Powercolor PCS+
Best US pricing

Both are better than the Asus because the coolers are actually designed for the 290X. The Asus coolers are just reused from the GK110 and aren't as efficient on Hawaii's smaller die.

Ive read a lot of complaints in the reviews for the powercolor that ppl had to RMA the board 3-4 times before one worked. Do you know anything of the problem?

thanks

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Ive read a lot of complaints in the reviews for the powercolor that ppl had to RMA the board 3-4 times before one worked. Do you know anything of the problem?

thanks

I put no credence in Newegg reviews, YMMV though. The Sapphire does still use a reference board though, which is good and assures good components. Also is a 2 slot card, which might matter to you. It's quite long though. To answer your question directly, no, I haven't heard of any issues with the Powercolor.

Ken145

Aug 1, 2014
Tri-X cooler is amazing, think about it like as if MSI released affordable version of Lightning cooler on a reference card! But for me it still can be loud after like 55% fan speed in NZXT Phantom 530 case, and i'm usually hitting that or greater fan speeds when heavily downsampling or slightly OCing, makes me kinda regret not going 290 Vapor-X over 290x Tri-X, especially after reading reviews and comparing vrm cooling and temps. I'd say if you are on a budget and don't care about extra quietness then get cheap 290 Tri-X, but if you have money go for 290 Vapor-X.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999

thanks
All I know of this is what i've read and that is some of the Powercolor cards are underperforming and require a bios update to fix it.
You can read more HERE.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Skip 290X and go for 290 => Sapphire Tri-X + OC

Having said that, there are literally no new demanding PC games worth buying that are launching from now until about mid-October. I'd strongly suggest waiting until 870/880 launch as those are rumored to launch in September/early October.