Need Advice on new system....

drbiehl1979

Jul 9, 2003
hello all,
I am looking to build a new system that will act as an MP3 server/DVR appliance. I need it to be quiet since it will be near my home theater system, but fast enough to encode mpeg 2 on the fly. So the question is what processor should i get? i need it to be fast, but run cool so i will not need a HUGE heat sink/noisy fan. I was also wondering what motherboard recomondations you have. I am looking for extremely stable motherboard (not to hard these days) that has everything on board. I dont know if any have this feature, but do any have TV out on the motherboard?? I was also wondering about cooling. Again on the quiet theme, will two, maybe 3 quiet case fans do the trick? any input will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

danny

bgeh

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
i'll get the low-end p4 c's then. paired with a i865pe mobo it should be enough for your needs

Ymeister19

Jun 29, 2003
My recomendation for a cpu would prolly be the barton 2500 if ur on a budget, or a 3000+ barton with 400 fsb if u arent, in either case the abit nf7-s is a great MB but im not really sure on what it has onboard, if u want to overclock u can get an slk 900u by thermalright and a nice 92mm panaflo fan and it should overclock fairly well with good temps and have a minimum noise level, 3 or 4 case fans would prolly do just fine