need advice on iphone plan

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
What's the most cost effective at&t plan for the new 3gs iphone? I don't currently send text or pics on my old phone, just make calls. I'm not sure how much I'd use it, but it would be nice. At&t coverage isn't great in my area, which is another concern but I'm sure it will get better. If anyone has a link to a list of plans and their costs I would appreciate it. I do intend to use the web and email on it also. Thanks very much for any help.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
there is only 1 data plan, the only options are how many voice minutes and text messages you need.

The cheapest option 450min+data+no text=$70/month

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Thanks for such a quick reply.

EDIT: Is there any way to find out what the cost would be for the plan for two iphones for my business? Thanks again.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
No to hijack this thread but has anyone had experience with swapping the sim and downgrading their plan?

I work a farming job during the summer, not exactly an ideal situation for my iPhones safety. I am thinking of putting my sim into a spare bar phone I have and canceling the data making it cheaper per month. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: S Freud
No to hijack this thread but has anyone had experience with swapping the sim and downgrading their plan?

I work a farming job during the summer, not exactly an ideal situation for my iPhones safety. I am thinking of putting my sim into a spare bar phone I have and canceling the data making it cheaper per month. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

They may or may not do it willingly. You will need to supply a new IMEI first.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
So, would going to an Apple Store or using the At&t website store be better if I am buying the phones for a business? Also, is there a "walkie talkie" app/function for the iphone? Thanks again.

Kmax82

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2002
www.kennonbickhart.com
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
So, would going to an Apple Store or using the At&t website store be better if I am buying the phones for a business? Also, is there a "walkie talkie" app/function for the iphone? Thanks again.

Where you buy doesn't matter. You're getting the same deal regardless.

By a "walkie talkie" app, are you referring to the Nextel "Push to Talk" service that they have? If so, there isn't any app that replicates that functionality, to my knowledge.

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005

Thanks

i havent tried it myself, but once the network recognizes a non-iphone IMEI, you'll be able to call and remove the data plan.

I believe though, that they actively scan the network for iPhone without data plans and automatically tack one on for you, so be wary of popping the SIM in your iPhone for the weekend for some reason.

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Wonderful Pork

Thanks

i havent tried it myself, but once the network recognizes a non-iphone IMEI, you'll be able to call and remove the data plan.

I believe though, that they actively scan the network for iPhone without data plans and automatically tack one on for you, so be wary of popping the SIM in your iPhone for the weekend for some reason.

Also not gonna work if you signed a contract, which I believe includes the data plan.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
What's the most cost effective at&t plan for the new 3gs iphone? I don't currently send text or pics on my old phone, just make calls. I'm not sure how much I'd use it, but it would be nice. At&t coverage isn't great in my area, which is another concern but I'm sure it will get better. If anyone has a link to a list of plans and their costs I would appreciate it. I do intend to use the web and email on it also. Thanks very much for any help.

correct me if I am wrong but I dont understand why do you want iphone 3GS if you dont use texting and send phone from your old phone? most but not all cell phones do require voice and data plan and cost more than 60 a month depeends on what plan you choose