Need advice on car accident with drawing!

ConantheBarbarian

Nov 8, 2000
I had an car accident Yesterday on a four way intersection. I stopped at the red light, once it turned green I proceeded forward, next thing I knew I was hit on my passenger door to the front of the car. It was an elderly man born in 37 so I guess that would make him 66. He must of tried to cut the red light and going around 40mph. He was driving a Hyundai, after the accident it didnt look like a car at all :( My car is a POS 1990 minivan (made of steel) :cool:, the engine is dead, front right wheel caved into the frame and strut. Man was I scared, but knowing it wasnt my fault I was a little confident. I filed a claim, police took the report. Now what pisses me off is that I found out that my sister didnt have collision protection. Am I screwed in getting any money from my of the other parties insurance company. Funny thing is that the accident happened after I just finished taking my assembly language final :Q I also went to the hospital to get check out in an ambulance. Good thing there was a witness that stated that he heard a loud sound when he looked up he saw the green light for me and a red light for the old man and also told that to the police. I tried to draw a picture of what happend:

Amateur drawing

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If the other driver was at fault, his liability insurance will pay your damages.

ConantheBarbarian

Nov 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
If the other driver was at fault, his liability insurance will pay your damages.

My car was basically totaled, how will the insurance company estimate the damages (fair market value) ?

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: ConantheBarbarian
Originally posted by: Jzero

My car was basically totaled, how will the insurance company estimate the damages (fair market value) ?

blue book or however much it will cost to fix

MeanMeosh

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
you can either take it to any auto-repair shop and get an estimate... or let them tow you to one of their centers, where they'll do a damage estimate...

if the amount of damage > value of car, they may try to declare the car as being totalled, in which case they'll pay you the value of car and scrap the car.

ConantheBarbarian

Nov 8, 2000
What I failed to mention is that on the report it is written that the old man said that I cut the red light and he had the green light. Lucky the witness says that I had the green light. Will it be my word against his word ?

KC5AV

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2002
As long as you have the witness saying that the old man ran the red light, you are in the clear. Good luck with it. I hope he has good insurance.