need advice on bed and matress

ThurzNite

Nov 15, 1999
Hey all. Just moved into an apartment. Me and my 3 roommates are all sleeping on the floor and it sucks. At least I have an egg crate and a sleeping bag to sleep on. They're all on the rock hard floor. Ew.
We're in the market to buy some beds. We are cheap enough to get just matresses and put them on the floor. However, a full set consisting of matress, box/foundation, and frame would really be nice.
We went to a Select Comfort showroom today http://www.selectcomfort.com and checked out their air bed. Really nice cuz they're adjustable. Better than any regular spring bed we've ever tried. Only thing is, the full set is $400 + tax. (We were originally gonna pay $80 for a used set...$200 for new)
Anybody wanna suggest something as comfortable but not more than $400? Doesn't have to be adjustable, just comfortable. Air beds are interesting, but some of them sag around the buttock area, (like for my friend who's got quite a belly! haha).
Thanx people.
Jay

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Check out the surplus stores and the Good Will. The Good Will I heard actually has their matresses refilled and recovered so they are in pretty good shape.
I got a pretty good NEW mattress at Sears surplus for less than $100 (top and bottom). The mark up on mattresses is huge so whatever you do, DO NOT buy one at a regular retail store.
If you have a PennySaver or a Recycler in your part of the world take a look through that as well.
Sweet Dreams.

Jim

spec411

Apr 18, 2000
i got mine from macys, it was an $1100 beautuyrest pillowtop that i got for $160- but i had to go through hell to get it they delviered 2 i returned 1 and got the box spring, etc..but got a good deal due to their incompetence!

if ur really cheap get a coleman airbed- about $35 and feels great! put a nice thick mattres pad or even a feather bed topper on it and you have yourself a LUXURIOUS bed for under $100

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you're on a budget....try checking out water-beds. They are for the most part cheaper than matresses. Get a no-wave one if you plan on...er...."sharing" it with someone.Otherwise everytime one of the occupants moves, the other occupant get jostled around a bit. ( great if you're just playing around ). If you live in a colder climat, you might want to look into a heater also.....nothing like hopping into a nice warm bed during the winter months.....;)

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I've actually reverted from sleeping in my room to one of those Coleman Air matresses at home. Before I left for school I slept on that thing for over a year and had the best nights of sleep of my life. For the time being that is the way to go. They are a beatch to blow up though so if you blow it up, keep it up.

ThurzNite

Nov 15, 1999
Jimbo: Did u see the dateline thingy on used matresses? They just rewrap and resell. The problem is that the mold, lil insects, and other contaminants aren't removed. So if the previous owner had problems, guess what?...kinda scared me into buying from a respected place, and not getting a 2nd hand one.
The retail store is also a problem cuz I can never seem to bargain. It's not like buying a car...what's on the sticker is what I pay. I prefer to try to knock off 20-25% off sticker. Mark-up is insane.
Coleman Air. Those look cool on TV. Anybody know where I can try one out? If they're only $100, I'll just toss it on the floor and call it a bed. No problem w/that. Blowing it up isn't a problem...One of my roommates has a lil air blower/inflater thingy.

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
When I was in college I had the problem - No Bed. We went over to the K-mart and purchased a few swimming pool air rafts. They are tough and as long as you don't go jumping on them will last quite some time. Mine cost about $15. They even come with a repair kit. Mine lasted about 3 years. The great thing is that you can inflate it like the expensive air beds to a comfort level of whatever you like.

ExplodingBoy

Feb 9, 2000
You might also just check the classified. People are always throwing out twin beds for $30 and less. Just pay attention to the quality of the mattresses.

Your friendly neighborhood department store probably also sells cheapie futons for around $150. You get a sofa AND a bed.

HorB

Mar 27, 2000
What about futons? You can put them on the floor and they are just like firm mattresses. You can fold them up and take them with you when you move. You can buy frames for them, but they are in my opinion very uncomfortable. Go to a futon store and lie on one and see what you think.

:)

ThurzNite

Nov 15, 1999
Futons are cool. 2 of my roommates wanted them, but now they want real beds. The air matress seems like a good idea, but I tried a friend's yesterday and didn't like it. It's got the hammock effect, where the heavier butt area goes down an the lighter shoulders and legs go up. Not very supportive. It's the same problem we get with waterbeds. I think we're looking for something that supports the whole body so it's more naturally flat, not sagging.