need advice on a situation. think in-laws are getting scammed.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrsWaggy

Jun 25, 2005
Originally posted by: kranky
Originally posted by: MrsWaggy

I think the BF is going to milk the family credit for all it's worth.

I don't know what role your sister-in-law has in all this... maybe she's being scammed by her BF as well.

Even without the BF's shady history, this whole situation looks very odd.

The BF tried really hard when Erich was gone to get me to sign up for things to do with the business using Erich's name. He told me that it was legal because we are married.

There's another set of alarm bells right there. When you say "sign up for things", you mean credit?

I mean phone lines, internet service, electricity, heat, lease for the shop. THings that they tend to check your credit first.
My sister had already tried to get me to do it. I guess they thought that they could convince me to do it with Erich's info.
I told them flat out that if my name, Erich's name or any of my children's name, ss numbers, address, phone number basically anything that could connect me or my family to this bussiness appeared anywhere I would take her to court!

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: thecrecarc
I second getting a PI to investage the 5k "chemical" deals. If i were you I would try to back far far far FAR away from this, it can't be anything good.

why pay for something the police/detective can do for free? let the taxpayers fund this investigation.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
You need to get to hire a private investigator NOW!

Unless you just want to bitch on an internet discussion board while your wife's parents are financially destroyed, dig themselves deeper into a criminal conspiracy, and/or get into serious legal problems.

MrsWaggy

Jun 25, 2005
Originally posted by: daveymark
I second getting a PI to investage the 5k "chemical" deals. If i were you I would try to back far far far FAR away from this, it can't be anything good.

why pay for something the police/detective can do for free? let the taxpayers fund this investigation.

How?

Do I call them and say I suspect he is doing drugs and in the mean time taking my parents to the cleaners.

I have no proof, just fishy circumstances.

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
Originally posted by: preslove
You need to get to hire a private investigator NOW!

Unless you just want to bitch on an internet discussion board while your wife's parents are financially destroyed, dig themselves deeper into a criminal conspiracy, and/or get into serious legal problems.

QFT

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

How?

Do I call them and say I suspect he is doing drugs and in the mean time taking my parents to the cleaners.

I have no proof, just fishy circumstances.

Do not call the police. Get a Private Investigator. If the police are involved and the in-laws are found to be funding a drug operation or a money laundering set up then they will be going to jail.

A PI will allow the parents to get out or contact a lawyer before involving police. They will have a much better chance at avoiding jail time.

Do not cheap out on this. How will you feel if your parents are sent to jail because you didn't want to spend a couple hundred bucks?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

No, it doesn't work that way; unless a crime is being investigated, the police won't do this "for free".

Neither would the police supply the information to you.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Oceandevi
drug dealer
No, I don't think so, he sounds more like a drug runner, working for a dealer. Bad news either way though.

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002

I think the BF is going to milk the family credit for all it's worth.

I don't know what role your sister-in-law has in all this... maybe she's being scammed by her BF as well.

Even without the BF's shady history, this whole situation looks very odd.

The BF tried really hard when Erich was gone to get me to sign up for things to do with the business using Erich's name. He told me that it was legal because we are married.

There's another set of alarm bells right there. When you say "sign up for things", you mean credit?

I mean phone lines, internet service, electricity, heat, lease for the shop. THings that they tend to check your credit first.
My sister had already tried to get me to do it. I guess they thought that they could convince me to do it with Erich's info.
I told them flat out that if my name, Erich's name or any of my children's name, ss numbers, address, phone number basically anything that could connect me or my family to this bussiness appeared anywhere I would take her to court!

Why does your BIL has your, your husbands, your childrens SSN ? You should NOT be giving out your SSN to anyone unless it is required.

Also, if you signed the paperwork for phone, internet, electricity, lease etc. etc., (if you read the fine print) you would be PERSONALLY liable for payments of those accounts when the business went bankrupt. It wouldnt matter if the business was a Corp.

Nowadays, all these utilities/landlords/vendors are getting smart and they make one of the Officers of the Corp sign that he/she would be personally liable if the Corp was unable to pay the bills before they deal with the Corp.

I say get some background info on the BIL as all of this sounds very fishy and your in-laws can end up in big trouble.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Don't you have to have certain licenses to sell chemicals and such? Like everyone else has said this is an obvious scam, I know it seems hard coming to a decision of what to do, and even harder and the fact that your in laws seem to think everything is fine. You need to slap them in the face with facts. Highering someone to look into things would be a good idea, how would they be able to tell you that everything is ok when they have a PI or another professional telling them whats going on is illegal? I would get to the bottom of this asap. As one member posted, they are going to be taken for everything and likely end up living with you. While the BF makes off with high end electronics and money in the bank.

Or you could go with option B. Turn your back on it all and let them deal with it. When they finally realize and ask for help tell them to take a hike.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: S Freud
Don't you have to have certain licenses to sell chemicals and such? Like everyone else has said this is an obvious scam, I know it seems hard coming to a decision of what to do, and even harder and the fact that your in laws seem to think everything is fine. You need to slap them in the face with facts. Highering someone to look into things would be a good idea, how would they be able to tell you that everything is ok when they have a PI or another professional telling them whats going on is illegal? I would get to the bottom of this asap. As one member posted, they are going to be taken for everything and likely end up living with you. While the BF makes off with high end electronics and money in the bank.

Or you could go with option B. Turn your back on it all and let them deal with it. When they finally realize and ask for help tell them to take a hike.

oh me and my wife talked about it. there is no way they will live with us. we will agree for her little sister to live with us and maybe her FIL (though i think a home is better for him) but no way in hell would i let her MIL move in.

we are looking into PI"s. but i have a feeling they are going to be more then we can afford or want to spend. yeah i am a cold hearted asshole. i will help anyone on hard times. but a situation they put themselves in i have little sympathy.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: S Freud

oh me and my wife talked about it. there is no way they will live with us. we will agree for her little sister to live with us and maybe her FIL (though i think a home is better for him) but no way in hell would i let her MIL move in.

we are looking into PI"s. but i have a feeling they are going to be more then we can afford or want to spend. yeah i am a cold hearted asshole. i will help anyone on hard times. but a situation they put themselves in i have little sympathy.

Sounds like a job for the...dun dun DUNNNNNNN...

>>> ATOT DETECTIVES <<<

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
I second what gsethi said.

A PI may be expensive, but IMO it's better to dig up what you can about the BF and his actions....you may not be able to dissuade others from remaining involved in the 'company' but at least with the right info you can tell the BF/SIL to back off and also get the necessary law enforcement/government agencies involved.

http://findarticles.com/p/arti..._20060104/ai_n15973398

http://www.ncea.aoa.gov/NCEAro...cs/Types_Of_Abuse.aspx

http://www.preventelderabuse.o...erabuse/fin_abuse.html

If your suspicions are correct, your FIL is suffering from elderly financial abuse.

Has there been any unusual bank/credit card activity that you know of ?

MrsWaggy

Jun 25, 2005
Originally posted by: gsethi

Why does your BIL has your, your husbands, your childrens SSN ? You should NOT be giving out your SSN to anyone unless it is required.

Also, if you signed the paperwork for phone, internet, electricity, lease etc. etc., (if you read the fine print) you would be PERSONALLY liable for payments of those accounts when the business went bankrupt. It wouldnt matter if the business was a Corp.

Nowadays, all these utilities/landlords/vendors are getting smart and they make one of the Officers of the Corp sign that he/she would be personally liable if the Corp was unable to pay the bills before they deal with the Corp.

I say get some background info on the BIL as all of this sounds very fishy and your in-laws can end up in big trouble.

He doesn't have our ssn. He is trying to get us to sign up for things so he doesn't have to put his name on it. He might have my ssn. It is only one number off from my sisters' and I don't know if my mother still remembers it. I don't think she would give it to him.

I refused to sign anything I told all of them that I wanted no part of this business.
We are looking into PI

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
UPDATE newst thing

Seems my SIL and her boyfriend are buying a horse farm in PAW PAW IL. a 5acre property with barn.

we are really shocked. first off my SIL is on welfare/public aid etc. So how could they afford it?

His only job is the business. Far as we know it does not if it has made any money. but something must be going on.

i guess they go and sign closeing cost on teh 1s tof next month.

it just gets stranger and stranger.

I did a what looking i could on the guys name. but didnt find anything.

but then again maybe it is on the up and up.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Muadib
It doesn't add up. What are you leaving out?

nothing that i know of.

i know something is going on but for the love of god i don't know what.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Easy. He's a drug dealer. Chemicals is another word for drugs. He's buying a huge barn so he can manufacture drugs/grow marijuana. Shop is a front to distribute drugs.

At least, that's the only logical answer.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Ns1
Easy. He's a drug dealer. Chemicals is another word for drugs. He's buying a huge barn so he can manufacture drugs/grow marijuana. Shop is a front to distribute drugs.

though my SIL had a horse. the place that was holding it for her went out of business and she had no where else to put the horse.

She has been wanting a place with a stable for years.

im aamazed they got a loan. i looked up her boyfriends name an ddidn tfind anything. also looked up and didnt see anything fitting what she got for sale in paw paw.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Ns1

I agree with this response.
Large lump payments in cash are a dead giveaway.

Everything else screams front.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I think your in-laws are getting set up to take a BIG fall. Maybe you can buy them an industrial-size tube of K-Y jelly...sounds like they're gonna need it sooner or later....(I suspect sooner)
This CAN'T be on the "up and up," something shady is happening here...I still suspect some drug involvment. (a nice secluded horse ranch would be a good place to cook crank...

Maybe you should think about talking to the IRS, whatever Illinois department deals with state taxation, the local and state cops. Explain to them what you've told us...let THEM investigate.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
OK. even more neat stuff!

the house is a no go. come to find out it was not a loan but a "rent to buy" teh guy wanted a few grand up front and they couldnt afford it. so the houe is done.

And so is the business already. I guess my SIL boyfriend took them in and told them they were "fired". Then cleared out the "shop" claiming they lost the lease (says they were on a month to month). he says the landlord kicked them out because the guy next to them wanted that space for more office space.

so bringing any of this up starts arguements heh. Not sure if my in-laws are out of money since they refuse to say.