Need Advice: Mid-Rang'ish' Computer build $850 - $1000

bcplaidfro

Apr 29, 2010
My current computer built circa 2005

Epox 9NPA+ Ultra
AMD Athlon 3000+ Venice
3GB Corsair RAM PC3200
Nvidia GForce GT240
Antec Earthwatts 500W (upgraded to this in 2008)
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm (added in 2009)
80 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Antec Case Piano Black II

PLEASE when you POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for:

DVD Playback & burning. Online Media Streaming. Some Gaming, my wife is not keen on excessive gaming use, but I loved the days of BF2

2. What YOUR budget is.

$850-1000

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

US

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.

Intel is about the only preference

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I think only the 1TB Seagate Barracuda will be able to be re-used, it has been a ‘backup’ drive that holds my files, pictures, music, videos, etc.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

I have never overclocked so I don’t plan on it.

8. What resolution will you be using?

I am looking to get a 22”-24” LED monitor… my 21” just died and I am using a backup 19”.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Buy the parts around Black Friday and hopefully have it built before Christmas.

I have read the advice on MFENN’s thread about Mid-Range builds… and it seems about right other than the Graphics Card may be a bit much in cost for my needs. I do like a quality card, but I don’t think will be playing the latest and the greatest games with all the settings turned up to High right now.

I plan to run Windows 7, which I think I can get through the local university.

My current DVD drive and DVD burner are shot and need to be replaced.

Costco has a deal on a 24” Samsung LED monitor at $139.00 in the upcoming week which seems to be good deal. Didn’t list any model numbers though so I am unsure of the specs.

I need a new case, one that is favorable to cable management. The PSU may or may not be sufficient to reuse?

I would like to have between 8GB – 16GB RAM… maybe just 8GB to start.

I really don’t need wireless for the internet

I cant seem to think of anything else… I am hoping to get a decent computer set up for $850 - $1000… The monitor can be separate from this budget.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
If the PSU is in good shape it can still be used. It doesn't seem like it's ever been stressed much.

CPU i5-3570 $200
Mobo Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP $80
RAM Patriot Viper 2x4GB 1600 $25 AR AP right now
GPU At least a Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X $115 AR. It's great for medium settings and comes with a free Far Cry 3 too.
PSU Reuse Antec $0
HDD Reuse Seagate $0
SSD Samsung 830 128GB $100
DVD Lite-On DVD-RW $18
Case Antec P280 $70 AR - very nice features, very quiet and well built. Not sure about the power supply's cable lenghts, you may need a CPU cable extension but that's fine.

= $608 AR AP + shipping, including the discrete graphics card. Don't really need to spend more unless you want more gaming performance.

As for the monitor... Given that you have plenty left in the budget, I'd recommend a Dell IPS: U2412M $296 (1920x1200)

Buy the parts around Black Friday and hopefully have it built before Christmas.
Should try to get it build soon after starting to buy parts. It'd be a pain if you didn't get to test a component for DOA until after two weeks of buying it, at which point doing RMA with newegg is much more cumbersome.

Last edited:

tomsop

Sep 24, 2012
For those following along but don't have the same parts - would you recommend buying a similar 500w PSU - in other words what wattage do you need for your psu to run this setup? I am interested in a lower mid-range setup as well, Thanks.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
For those following along but don't have the same parts - would you recommend buying a similar 500w PSU - in other words what wattage do you need for your psu to run this setup? I am interested in a lower mid-range setup as well, Thanks.

500W is plenty for a setup like that.

The best thing to do if you're buying your own parts soon is to start your own thread and you can get much more targeted advice.

bcplaidfro

Apr 29, 2010
I do like the suggestions Lehtv. The PSU really hasnt been taxed with anything significant... around 2008-09 I had eventually opted for the Earthwatts 500W after 3 RMAs over 3 years with previous Antec SmartPower 450W. The Earthwatts has been a solid PSU so far.

The i5 + Asrock Mobo seems to be a popular combo... I will certainly order that.

The GPU suggested seems to be a solid card for my needs as well...

I will have to learn about SSD... I am guessing this is used for the OS for faster boot times?

Antec P280 Case seems like its solid and will do the job... I do like the conservative look.

The monitor you suggested seems like a great choice, albeit a bit spendy... I may have to educate myself on monitors when it comes to quality images.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
bcplaidfro said:
I will have to learn about SSD... I am guessing this is used for the OS for faster boot times?

Boot times are indeed improved a lot but that's among the least of the benefits. An SSD will improve the responsiveness of your whole system. You will notice a big difference in everyday use like browsing and using whatever applications you use, loading up a savegame, etc. It's just snappier. Things happen when you want them to, not two seconds later :)

Of course, it may be that given the build you're coming from, sheer CPU performance will improve responsiveness a lot as well. Consider the SSD an extra that fits your budget but is not really necessary. SSD prices are still dropping, it wouldn't be wrong to wait another 6-12 months before adding an SSD.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
CPU i5-3570 $200
Mobo Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP $80
RAM Patriot Viper 2x4GB 1600 $25 AR AP right now
GPU At least a Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X $115 AR. It's great for medium settings and comes with a free Far Cry 3 too.
PSU Reuse Antec $0
HDD Reuse Seagate $0
SSD Samsung 830 128GB $100
DVD Lite-On DVD-RW $18
Case Antec P280 $70 AR - very nice features, very quiet and well built. Not sure about the power supply's cable lenghts, you may need a CPU cable extension but that's fine.

= $608 AR AP + shipping, including the discrete graphics card. Don't really need to spend more unless you want more gaming performance.

As for the monitor... Given that you have plenty left in the budget, I'd recommend a Dell IPS: U2412M $296 (1920x1200)

Solid. :thumbsup:

The build has a 77W TDP CPU (really 69W with the IGP not in use), a 80W TDP GPU, and maybe another 50W in misc components. Really you'd have to try pretty hard to find a power supply that couldn't run it. A 350W from a reputable manuf. would be more than sufficient.

bcplaidfro

Apr 29, 2010
Last question is when to actually purchase the items. It looks like the parts recommended will be coming from Newegg and Amazon to get the 'best' prices. Is it going to be best to order on the Friday after Thanksgiving? I am fine waiting if it will make a difference in some of the prices, otherwise I will just order them all sometime next week.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Besides the CPU/mobo (which I bought at MicroCenter on Black Friday) I ordered about 75% of my build's components on Black Friday last year. I think everything had free shipping and no sales tax... it was pretty good. I did have to substitute a few things (the SSD and PSU, for example) and I did have to deal with 5 rebates (which I DID receive all of them, eventually...) but if you are flexable, Black Friday is a pretty good deal!

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
SSD is a no-brainer with that budget, it will provide a far more tangible benefit than adding additional GPU horsepower into the mix given the usage case the OP described.

lehtv nailed it with that build.

One thing to look for is a nearby microcenter, you can get killer cpu/mobo combo prices.

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Last question is when to actually purchase the items. It looks like the parts recommended will be coming from Newegg and Amazon to get the 'best' prices. Is it going to be best to order on the Friday after Thanksgiving? I am fine waiting if it will make a difference in some of the prices, otherwise I will just order them all sometime next week.

Personally, I would order now rather than having to deal with slow web sites and OOS items on Black Friday. You might save a few bucks if you are eagle eyed and quick fingered though.

bcplaidfro

Apr 29, 2010
One thing to look for is a nearby microcenter, you can get killer cpu/mobo combo prices.

Unfortunately the nearest one is about 500 miles away in Denver, CO... and I live in Utah

I will look to get the items between Amazon & Newegg... I will post up my sales results and my progress. If a great part at a great price comes available as a substitute/upgrade... dont hesitate to post it for me on this thread.

Thanks again!!!

charlietee

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001
Dang you should be able to build a pretty good Mid-Range box for that kind of money.

I am putting together a parts list of what I consider a great bang for the buck system for a friend who will be doing like you and using the case, power supply and hard drive from the last system I built her.

With MicroCenter selling the Intel core i7 3770k for $229.00 dollars someone should come close to that price Friday or Monday if you are not close to a MicroCenter. NewEgg has them for $319.00 and should try to get in the ballpark I would think.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/388575/Core_i7_3770K_35GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

The ASRock Z77 Extreme6 is $159.00 at NewEgg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157295

I think they even have the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 for $105.00 shipped.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB is $109.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231569

I chose the EVGA GeForce GTX 570 video card for the build because the box needs to render video besides general office use and gaming. It is $319.00 there are rebates that knock it down to $299.00. Chose it because of cuda cores, 320bit bus and 2gigs of ram.

With those parts you are sitting on about $900.00 and it should last a few years for sure.
The video card may not be your cup of tea. Nor the memory.

The mother board and processor would seem to be a great choices in my opinion.

Shucks for $210.00 shipped you could get the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO that comes with 8gigs of G.Skill ram.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131819

You could even throw in a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO for $35.00 and stay under 1k. Use the ram that comes with the Asus Board and probably closer to $900.00 than $1000.00

I certainly would go with a Z77 or better board and a minimum i7 3770k. IMHO of course !!!!!!

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Dang you should be able to build a pretty good Mid-Range box for that kind of money.

I am putting together a parts list of what I consider a great bang for the buck system for a friend who will be doing like you and using the case, power supply and hard drive from the last system I built her.

With MicroCenter selling the Intel core i7 3770k for $229.00 dollars someone should come close to that price Friday or Monday if you are not close to a MicroCenter. NewEgg has them for $319.00 and should try to get in the ballpark I would think.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/388575/Core_i7_3770K_35GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

The ASRock Z77 Extreme6 is $159.00 at NewEgg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157295

I think they even have the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 for $105.00 shipped.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB is $109.00

I chose the EVGA GeForce GTX 570 video card for the build because the box needs to render video besides general office use and gaming. It is $319.00 there are rebates that knock it down to $299.00. Chose it because of cuda cores, 320bit bus and 2gigs of ram.

With those parts you are sitting on about $900.00 and it should last a few years for sure.
The video card may not be your cup of tea. Nor the memory.

The mother board and processor would seem to be a great choices in my opinion.

Shucks for $210.00 shipped you could get the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO that comes with 8gigs of G.Skill ram.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131819

You could even throw in a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO for $35.00 and stay under 1k. Use the ram that comes with the Asus Board and probably closer to $900.00 than $1000.00

I certainly would go with a Z77 or better board and a minimum i7 3770k. IMHO of course !!!!!!

Wow, did you read the OP's response to question #1? All of that is crazy overkill for what he wants to do. Not to mention that the GTX 570 is a last-gen card that's priced too high relative to current-gen cards.

bcplaidfro

Apr 29, 2010
Finalizing my parts & prices:

Newegg Parts
CPU i5-3570 $219
Mobo Asrock H77 Pro4/ MVP $80
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 2x4GB $25
GPU Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X $115 AR.
SSD Samsung 830 128GB $104
DVD Lite-On DVD-RW $16
Monitor Dell UltraSharp U2412M Black 24" $279
Case Antec P280 $109

Reusing
HDD Seagate 1TB
PSU Antec Earthwatts 500W

Current total cost: $947 + $11 shipping

The only question I have now on the parts is the video card... is this card just right for the price? I guess I should have ordered all the parts 2 days ago as it seems the deal was slightly better across the board. Hope to put the order in today.

bcplaidfro

Apr 29, 2010
$115 AR is pretty much the going rate for 7770, but right now I think that this GTX 560 Ti for $130 AR is a better deal.

I am happy to upgrade for $15. Any disadvantage to a single fan card vs. a dual fan? Or is it safe to assume if the card is built with one fan it will be sufficient for its cooling needs?

Also would I need to upgrade my existing 500W power supply for this card?

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I am happy to upgrade for $15. Any disadvantage to a single fan card vs. a dual fan? Or is it safe to assume if the card is built with one fan it will be sufficient for its cooling needs?

Yes, one fan is sufficient. But a card cooler by dual fans is almost certainly quieter and cooler, and in the case of a 7770 which consumes only two thirds as much power as the 560 Ti, this is doubly true. The PNY will make some noise at load, while the 7770 Vapor-X will be almost as quiet at load as it is on idle. It should be possible to use a custom fan profile (MSI Afterburner) and make it nearly inaudible.

Personally I wouldn't go with last gen unless it was better performance for the price and dual-fan. I would choose between

Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X 1GB
$130 ($115 AR), or
Sapphire 7850 Dual-X 1GB $174 ($159 AR) + free Far Cry 3

Compared to 560 Ti, the 7850 is faster, consumes less power and runs cooler and quieter.

Also would I need to upgrade my existing 500W power supply for this card?
It'd be fine, a 560 Ti consumes about 160W and requires two 6-pin power connectors.

Last edited:

bcplaidfro

Apr 29, 2010
Yes, one fan is sufficient. But a card cooler by dual fans is almost certainly quieter and cooler, and in the case of a 7770 which consumes only two thirds as much power as the 560 Ti, this is doubly true. The PNY will make some noise at load, while the 7770 Vapor-X will be almost as quiet at load as it is on idle. It should be possible to use a custom fan profile (MSI Afterburner) and make it nearly inaudible.

Personally I wouldn't go with last gen unless it was better performance for the price and dual-fan. I would choose between

Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X 1GB
$130 ($115 AR), or
Sapphire 7850 Dual-X 1GB $174 ($159 AR) + free Far Cry 3

Compared to 560 Ti, the 7850 is faster, consumes less power and runs cooler and quieter.

It'd be fine, a 560 Ti consumes about 160W and requires two 6-pin power connectors.

THe 7850 seems like a great card, and since it will work with my 500W Power Supply, I'll add that one to the build. Thank you for sharing the knowledge and listing parts. You've managed to keep it all under $1000 and that includes the 24" IPS monitor. I know that I'll be happy. I should have the order placed within the next 48 hours. I will post up the final bill of sale.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Assuming you haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'd suggest going with a Z77 motherboard. Even with a non-K CPU you can still overclock to 400mhz above the max turbo speed for the processor (4.2GHz in the case of that i5 3570). It's as simple as changing the CPU multiplier in the BIOS during setup, no voltage change required (typically) and it really doesn't run any hotter than usual so the stock Intel HSF is adequate.

bcplaidfro

Apr 29, 2010
I now agree with MFENN's suggestion to just order the parts when I could have.

Thinking that Black Friday or Cyber Monday would be a great time to pick up the parts has left several items as Out of Stock. Ugh... Maybe I can find a decent balance between Newegg and Amazon to get everything now.