Need Additional 4-pin 12V connector

leesiulung

Nov 30, 2008
So I bought a PC Power & Cooling Power Supply (S47D) intended for a Dell Dimension E521 that PC P&C claimed was compatible. Well the power supply didn't fit into the case, wtf!

Anyhow, I ended up keeping the supply as it wasn't worth shipping back and repurposing it for my internal use. I just bought a XFX nForce 730a that has a 8-pin 12V connector. Well my powersupply only has one 4-pin 12V connector and a 20-pin power connector. My motherboard doesn't seem to boot with only one 4-pin connector connected to 8-pin connector on the motherboard with the 20-pin.

So here are some questions:

1. Should I just buy the molex to 4-pin adapter and that should work?

2. Is PC Power & Cooling a quality manufacturer of power supply? I have always used Antec and Seasonic. Never heard of PC Power & Cooling and after that fiasco I'm not so sure about them....

Help would be much appreciated and I did read the post about "Splitting of the 12V rail". It only partially made sense.

dangman4ever

Nov 17, 2006
1) You'll be fine with this connector for the 8Pin CPU/EPS12V connector:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16812198003

20Pin? Don't you mean 24Pin? From the pictures on the PC P&C site, I can clearly see a 24Pin Mobo connector and a 4Pin CPU connector.

2) PC P&C do not manufacture PSUs. They actually just design or provide specifications for the PSU to other PSU OEMs and then buy and rebrand those PSUs. In fact, Seasonic makes some of PC P&C's PSUs. In any case, yes PC P&C is a quality PSU manufacturer. Are you 100% sure that PSU will not fit inside the Dell case? Though IIRC, that PC P&C Dell PSU is actually geared to older Dell PCs, not relatively recent ones like your E521. In fact the Dell E521 uses a standard ATX design for the PSU.

leesiulung

Nov 30, 2008
I thought I counted 20-pin, but might have miscounted. The power supply did not fit for sure, I don't remember the exact reason, but I contacted PCP&C about it with pictures and they confirmed too. Still pissed about it, since I paid for 2-day shipping and the whole thing ended up costing $90. Considerably more than what I'm used to paying for a decent power supply.

Anyhow, that cable adapter is all I need... they don't need to come from two different molex (the hard drive cables)? I guess most PSU have a single 12v rail....

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
When they say the PSu is compatible they mean the connectors are configured correctly for the motherboard. It use to be that Dell used the typical ATX main connector but they arainged there wires differently. So useing a standard ATX PSU would blow the board. This isn't the case anymore. But needless to say peopel still look for Dell compatible PSU just to be sure they won't blow the board. So the compatiblity is in the connectors not the size and shape of the PSU's case.

leesiulung

Nov 30, 2008
mpilchfamily,

I appreciate you clarifying that for me. However, I'm rather upset at PCP&C for not making that clear as obviously if I'm buying a power supply for my Dell computer, I want it inside the case and not on the side with its side panel open.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
In what way does the PSU not fit inside the case?
I know with my case I had to install the PSU upsidedown. It`s been running fine for a very long time!

Will it not line up with the holes that are provided for installing the PSU?
It`s a simple matter to drill a hole or 2 if needed in the case.

Good Luck!!