Question Need access to devices on 2nd router

mrphil

Jun 18, 2019
I have an SFR NB6VAC DSL Modem/Router Combo (Router 1) with internal LAN of 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 DHCP & WiFi Active. I also have a GL Tech GL-AR750 Router (Router 2) that's connected from a LAN port from Router 1 to the WAN Port on Router 2. Router 2 is configured as a VPN Router. The Static WAN IP of Router 2 is 192.168.1.2. Router 2's internal LAN is 192.168.8.1 255.255.255.0 DHCP & WiFi Active. There are 2 Roku's connected DHCP to Router 2 via Ethernet, each with an 8.x address. Both Roku's need access to the VPN. This is a rather large house with 3 Ubiquiti AC-Lite access points (1.xx) connected to Router 1. The issue is when using a Slingbox app on a wireless device connected to Router 1, it's not possible to transfer the video/audio to a Roku connected TV connected to Router 2. ( http://www.slingbox.com/roku ) The only current workaround for this is to temporarilly use the Wifi on Router 2, however, that Wifi is often out of range. Is it possible to add a route or firewall setting to one/both routers in order for me, while connected to Wifi of Router 1 to see the two Roku devices connected to Router 2?

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
A static rule may work, but the more difficult piece is the VPN router accessing the 192.168.1.x LAN....it depends on how configurable the second router really is.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/3/setup/travel_ac_router/internet/
use the WAN port as another LAN port and uplink it to main router.

1. Cable
Connect the router to the modem or main router via Ethernet cable to access the Internet.

Before plugging the Ethernet cable into the WAN port of the router, you can click Use as LAN to set the WAN port as a LAN port. That is useful when you are using the router as a repeater. As a result, you can have one more LAN port.

You should also disable DHCP server on GL-AR750 .

1st router and 2nd router should be in same IP range.

mrphil

Jun 18, 2019
https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/3/setup/travel_ac_router/internet/
use the WAN port as another LAN port and uplink it to main router.

You should also disable DHCP server on GL-AR750 .

1st router and 2nd router should be in same IP range.

Thanks.

Changed VPN Router LAN IP to 192.168.1.2. Changed WAN Port to LAN. Disabled DHCP. Rebooted GL-AR750. Roku Clients connected to LAN ports of that router are now being assigned 1.x address and Roku's function normally, however, VPN will no longer function.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Last edited:

mrphil

Jun 18, 2019
Back to orig cfg. Unfortunately, while I could add the route on Router 1 in the article your forwarded, there is no firewall link for IPV4, only IPV6 on this Telco provided router. Additionally, there is no DD-WRT for this make/model. Any other thoughts?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You don't need DD-WRT on your main DSL router, but you need the router be able to add routing rules. According your post, your main router did allow you to add routing rules, right? BTW, I don't know what you mean firewall link.

Anyway, found exactly what you need to do for your 2nd router.

Tutorial found here.

Connect two routers on one network, one router is running VPN and DD-WRT - YouTube

You can flash OPENWRT on the router and suppose it will let you execute same command like DD-WRT

https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/3/setup/travel_ac_router/upgrade/

It claims it supports DD-WRT, but seems it's just pre-release.

I'm not going to be held responsible for anything you do. There is very high risk flashing 3rd party firmware if anything went wrong.

Related info.
https://openwrt.org/toh/gl.inet/gl-ar750

Last edited:

mrphil

Jun 18, 2019
OK. To clarify regarding the firewall on Telco router, I couldn't access any firewall settings as there is no GUI link to the firewall under all the other IPV4 settings, such as DNS, DHCP, etc. I'll take a look at the DD/OPEN WRT, but it might be a day or so before I'm able to get back to you. Thanks.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Apparently your NB6VAC router can not flash DD-WRT, it's a fiber/DSL gateway router provided by your ISP. No gateway router provided by any ISP can flash 3rd party firmware.

What you need is that your 1st router the ability to add static route.

If its UI does not provide the ability to add static route, you are probably out of luck and have to use NB6VAC as a fiber/DSL modem only, and either put your GL-AR750 behind NB6VAC or buy a better OpenVPN router from ASUS or other venders.

So the connection will be like:

1. NB6VAC in modem only mode --> any OpenVPN router --> all other devices in your house.

or

2. NB6VAC in gateway mode (your current config) --> any OpenVPN router --> all other devices in your house. You have to sacrifice several ethernet ports on NB6VAC , however.

If you don't have enough ports on GL-AR750, you can buy a switch to add more ports.

This way, you don't have to add any static route in any devices since they are all in same IP range.

Couldn't find NB6VAC manual on the internet and all the info found are in French, which is all foreign to me. Your probably better off ask the questions in some French forums.

Last edited:

mrphil

Jun 18, 2019
I decided to add a wireless access point which solves the range issue. Other possible remedies were either unlikely due to hardware limitations which prevented flashing my main router with DD-WRT, etc, or were overly complicated. Thanks for all your input however, mxnerd!