Need a workstation laptop for Architecture school...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Definitely upgrade the memory yourself.

I thought the T61p had a 256 mb Quadro FX 570M? I havent checked in a while, but last time I checked, this was the spec.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Second the recommendation for you to upgrade the RAM yourself, don't pay for it from any OEM.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: IanE
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Originally posted by: IanE
The T61P only comes in 14.1"??

Look again; it comes in 15.4" and 14.1" sizes. The 15.4" size has a delay on it and it is larger, so it may not be as good a choice if you're going to carry it everywhere.

I must be going out of my mind, I swear last night it wouldn't let me configure it with 15.4" haha. Silly me.

I just read they took the 15.4" T61p down because of production problems. They can't produce them fast enough to meet demand.

IanE

Jul 12, 2004
Originally posted by: slugg
Definitely upgrade the memory yourself.

I thought the T61p had a 256 mb Quadro FX 570M? I havent checked in a while, but last time I checked, this was the spec.

Well that's what it says on the website until you try to configure one to purchase, you're only allowed the option of the NVS 140m and 14.1", but after a couple tries this morning, they switched it to the 15.4" but still, no 570m like it says...

What's with the production problems? Something in build quality, or they just don't have the man power to assemble them? Still, there's no lead-time or shipping delays mentioned...

Mac Book Pro slowly takes the lead...

EDIT: Is it really worth an extra $500 for the 2.4ghz Core Duo 2, as opposed to the 2.2ghz? Am I really gonna notice?

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
As long as you have 4 mb of cache, it really doesn't matter.

As for the Lenovo ordering issue, it might be that they simply havent officially released the product? No clue. Best bet is to call their sales team and figure it out.

If you can wait to get the T61p, that'd still be my choice. If you can't wait, the Macbook Pro will still make you very happy :)

IanE

Jul 12, 2004
Leaning towards the MBP... but there's no way I can get the 2.2ghz with the 256mb card...can I?

Is the 5400rpm harddrive going to be noticeably slower than the 7200rpm?

I called Apple and just got transfered around back and forth and didn't really get a real answer.

Such struggle!

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Hmm well I personally prefer the 7200 RPM drives. I write music for local high schools and one of the programs I use (Kontakt) needs a quick hard drive. If you're just rendering and doing CAD work, etc, I'd say just go for a big 5400 rpm drive. Will there be a noticeable difference? Maybe from time to time a slight difference during regular usage. It won't be enough to really make a difference. Load times are a bit faster for games and large programs, but other than that, there isn't a PRACTICAL difference in speed. Audio programs definitely need the speed, but I can't think of many other applications that _require_ the use of a 7200 rpm drive.

I use laptops with 5400 rpm drives every day and don't have a problem with them. Just remember that benchmarks are benchmarks - they're supposed to highlight performance differences. In the real world, chances are you wont be able to distinguish a difference under normal usage.

*OR* if you have a lot of money, you could get one of the new 200 gb 7200 rpm notebook drives!

As with the memory, in some cases its also worth upgrading the hard drive on your own as well. For example, you could order the smallest, cheapest hard drive, then upgrade it yourself and save some money. You could buy a $15 enclosure for the old drive on Newegg and have an external, portable hard drive, too. Apple's markup for this upgrade is outrageous, so definitely look into this option.

If you get the MBP, I'd get a _big_ hard drive. This way, you can have both OSX and windows and have enough space without feeling cramped. You know you'd be dual booting, so you might as well prepare for it right?

IanE

Jul 12, 2004
I hadn't thought of just upgrading the harddrive and using the old one as an external, that's a great idea.

Sadly, Newegg's only 160gb+ harddrive, a Hitachi 200gb, is actually $80 more than the Apple 160gb upgrade.. hm.

Think I'll just stick with the 5400 for now and then swap it out next semester if need be once the studio courses really kick in.

MBP quickly takes the lead, but we'll see.

Thanks for all your help everyone, slugg especially.

I'll let you all know of my decision in time.

bmonster

Sep 7, 2007
You must be trying to configure a normal T61. The T61P is the performance model. On shop.lenovo.com you'll see it listed as the "Mobile Workstation". All T61P comes with the NVidia Quadro FX 570M. If you configure it with the 14.1" it gives a 128MB Card. If you configure it with the 15.4" you get a 256MB Card. The MBP hardware and the Lenovo T61P isn't that different. They both are available with a 2.4 ghz Duo Core 2 processer. The mac the GeForce 8600m GT, the T61P has the Quadro FX 570M which is...guess what...based on the Geforce 8600m GT. The prices at similar configurations are pretty close. So...

If you like Macs buy the MacBook Pro

If you like PC's buy the T61P

Either way you end up with a pretty good machine.