Need a TV turner...

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Cord Cutter here. :) I recently got the 4k E65-E1 to serve as my PC gaming display but it doesn't come with a tuner built in which I would like for local channels. Any suggestions for one? I've heard about PC tuners but know nothing about them. Here were a couple ones I was looking at though I'm open to suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-AT-16...TSC+Digital+TV+Converter+Box+and+Media+Player

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-AT-300-Converter-Recording-Composite/dp/B01MF9X5V9/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484465391&sr=1-1&keywords=ViewTV+AT-300+ATSC+Digital+TV+Converter+Box+and+HDMI+Cable+w/+Recording+PVR+Function+/+HDMI+Out+/+Coaxial+Out+/+Composite+Out+/+USB+Input+/+LED+Time+Display+(New+Model)

I'm on Windows 7 and output to my tv from a 6gb 1060 if that makes any difference.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
When I talk about "PC tuners" or even "TV tuner" I think about a PCI/PCIe/USB device plugged into a computer. Software is used for control and you can set up a pretty nifty system which incorporates local/networked media and over the air TV/PVR (and whatever else) in one place. Many come with IR remotes but as to the best tuners to look for these days I'm out of the loop. Back in the day I had an awesome MythTV setup going though...

What you have linked are "set top boxes", a much easier option if the end goal is simply get over the air TV. But you'll have to use a different monitor input compared to your PC. So you can't multitask with a TV "window", and you'll lose advanced options like PVR on your PC and sharing TV over the network (with appropriate software).

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
T_WithoutZoom

This one looks nice.

Reactions: lopri and Ken g6

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
As long as you're getting a tuner, I'd say you might as well get a DVR function too. (Recording media not included.) The interface isn't great, but it's not bad for the price.

If you really want a computer tuner, anything from Hauppauge is usually good.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I'm more of a fan of PCIe multi-channel tuner cards.

Quad channel tuner lets you watch/record up to 4 channels at once, with 4k, or a multi-monitor setup you can have a 1080p stream on one monitor (or one quadrant of the 4k), and browser, game, etc, open on the other monitor(or another quadrant for 4k).

Costs a bit more, but it works pretty well if you have the setup for it.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Cord Cutter here. :) I recently got the 4k E65-E1 to serve as my PC gaming display but it doesn't come with a tuner built in which I would like for local channels. Any suggestions for one? I've heard about PC tuners but know nothing about them. Here were a couple ones I was looking at though I'm open to suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-AT-16...TSC+Digital+TV+Converter+Box+and+Media+Player

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-AT-300-Converter-Recording-Composite/dp/B01MF9X5V9/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484465391&sr=1-1&keywords=ViewTV+AT-300+ATSC+Digital+TV+Converter+Box+and+HDMI+Cable+w/+Recording+PVR+Function+/+HDMI+Out+/+Coaxial+Out+/+Composite+Out+/+USB+Input+/+LED+Time+Display+(New+Model)

I'm on Windows 7 and output to my tv from a 6gb 1060 if that makes any difference.

Those aren't tuners. Those are digital converters for use with TVs that have a built in analog tuner (ie, older TVs).

What you want is something like this (specifically the Connect or Extend model) or this.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I would consider a HDHomerun. Works on your network so later other devices can use it, and frankly they are rock solid. One of my favorite pieces of technology.

Reactions: cbn and Ken g6

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
A second vote, with reservations, the for the HDHomerun.

Mainly,I have an older HDHomerun that has some of the worst software ever devised. I was able to eventually control it via WMC (when that still existed) as well as get some functionality from VLC, but all the latest software is designed to work only with the latest HDHomerun hardware. And now they have a paid DVR service (paying for TV Guide listing, essentially), but I'm not sure what free DVR options are available to work with it. For just watching live TV, however, it's just fine.

Connect antenna to device, plug into LAN, use software to scan for channels. Double-click channel = instant viewing.

Each device has two tuners, so you can watch two streams anywhere on the network. If you add more devices, you get more tuners. The current "Connect" model uses the same MPEG2 stream that is broadcast OTA, no further compression, so if your home network isn't great, get the "Extend" model, which transcodes to H.264.

Overall, for the rare times that I want to watch something live - that isn't available online via other live sources - I think it's worthwhile.