Need a suggestions for wireless network problem...Kid keeps losing his connection!

stockjock

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
OK...the Wireless router is in my bedroom. Its a Linksys BEFW11S4 with a Linksys booster attached to it. My son's room is about as far away as it could be from my bedroom where the wireless router is connected. His room is up stairs and diagonally across the house from my room. Anyway, he is continually dropped from the network/internet and his signal is usually in the low to very low range. Is there anyway I can get a stronger signal up to his room...I've heard I can use a WAP to make a repeater (I think thats what its called) where I could put it like halfway in between his room and mine to help boost a signal....but would that affect any other computer in the house that has a good connection to the network??? Also since I have the Linksys BEFW11S4, what should I buy as repeater?? If thats the recommended route.

thanks

Cheetah8799

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2001
Any possibility you could move the router somewhere in the middle of your house? Maybe run some cable through your walls.

Have you tried moving your son's pc to a closer room, just to see what happens? You could also play with NetStumbler to see how good of a connection you are getting when connected. And to see what happens as you move around.

http://netstumbler.com/

Here's some othe rideas. If it's an older house you may possibly have lead paint on your walls, and/or lots of coats of paint. Combined with multiple walls between the two computers, it's just a bad setup. Since you're in the same building, and probably not all that far apart, I'd think the connection should be better than what you are experiencing. Maybe your son's computer could be re-arranged in his room to be a little closer. Or maybe he has a messy room with lots of stuff blocking the antenna on his wireless nic?

stockjock

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Thanks Jack for the site...I have been there before...quick question for you....do I need to have a linksys WAP that will do a repeater function...and does Linksys have one that will do that?? or can I use the Netgear one that was listed with my Linksys router???

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Repeaters usually would work only with Wireless source of the same brand.

Few versions of the Linksys WAP11 Repeat.

Take into consideration that if you can lay a Cable to a "Midway Spot", and connect a second Wireless Router config. as a Switch with and Access Point (any one does not have to Linksys) it will be better and much cheaper.

:thumbsup:

stockjock

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Thanks Jack again for your response. Laying cable is not an option because of the setup of my house...I have almost 3700 sq. Feet...virtually no attic to work with and the house is what is called an open plan...meaning a half wall splits the main rooms (family and living room), no way realy run the cable anywhere...that is why I was looking at the repeater solution. I may just have to breakdown and move the router, but being the selfish person I am because the router is connected directly to my computer that will be a hard thing to do...lol!!