Need a stable yet fast and Cheap 64 Board

nvfx

Banned
Apr 6, 2004
First it was Nvidia with thier 150 chipset, than VIA kt800, than Sis 755, finally Nvidia again with 250GB,

What is the preferd chipset, reminding you that i need excellent stabilty.

What are the best options for an Athlon64 Bit, Please mention Manufacture names and Models if possible

Thank you

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Newegg is getting in some ecs 755a2 motherboards soon (maybe tomorrow). I believe they're $94. They have limited overclocking ability like most athlon 64 boards. The old version (755a) is only $84, but doesn't have pc3200 support like the newer model. It's a shame you can't wait a few weeks for nforce3 250. I noticed epox has already posted their new nforce3 model on their website. Don't know when venders will get it. Newegg also has the shuttle an50r (refurbished) for $97 shipped with limited warranty and accessories. One of the guys got his athlon 64 3200 (2.0) up to 2610 with this board, the best overclock I've seen posted.

cowdog

Jan 24, 2003
I don't know that there is really significant difference between the Via and nForce3 150 chipsets in terms of real performance. At least I haven't seen anything that I would say is convincing one way or the other. I am very fond of my nForce2 boards, so I stuck with nVidia for my first A64 board, an AOpen AK89Max (nForce3 150). It is a nice and stable board, esp. given that I paid less than $100 for it. It overclocks well (as well as I expected given general A64 overclocking results), although I hope they increase the voltage options in the bios here soon.

If I were you, however, I would wait and see what the nForce3 250 and Via (whatever it is) Pro boards look like. We should be seeing those boards by the end of this month, if not sooner. If nothing else, you will have a few more options and a hopefully higher likelihood of both pci/agp lock, in case you like to overclock.