Need a replacement for my Gainward 4200.

Balex99

Sep 3, 2000
Newegg is giving me a refund ~$160 for my Gainward 4200(PSOD issues). I will not be buying another gainward. I do not want to wait for the FX line. I don't mind adding some cash to the pot. This card will be going into a new Epox 8RDA+ board with a 2100XP and 512 DDR. Figured on the 128 meg thing but not sure about the manufacturer. I have not had any experiences with ATI so not sure about them. Any comments are appreciated. Will be buying the card today or tomorrow.

Thanks

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
9500pro. People complain about ati's drivers and such, but I think those issues are from past performances from ATI. I've had both ati and nvidia, with ati being in my machine for the past year. I've had no issues with drivers and have been pleased with the quality of ATI.

GetInMyFatBelly

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2000
If you want to stay with NVidia, then the Asus V9280 Video Suite is nice. ATI is my preference, if you can find a Sapphire or similar Radeon 9500, and mod it. If not, then the 9500 Pro is a good choice, just wish there where VIVO models available.

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Balex99, if you don't mind me asking but how many times did you have to RMA your old Gainward Ti4200? I've done it once so far and now I have to RMA it again because of the purple checkerboard problem. The guy on the phone told me that they will most likely send me another Gainward even though I repeately asked for any card except Gainward and only if I have to RMA a third time would newegg give me a refund. I have bought the card for ~$155 from newegg and now will have to spend total $25 for shipping and they still wont give me a new one ARG!

Does anyone know what happens when newegg.com does not have any more of a rma'ed product in their warehouse? Do you think they will contact me before sending a card out?

Balex99

Sep 3, 2000
This is my first RMA and they do not have any of the original 64 meg 4200 in stock(6 months old) so they are going to offer me a replacement or a refund. My choice. I will more than likely do the refund and buy the 9500 pro. Numbers are looking very nice. Just hope the drivers are not a problem. I know they have been problematic in the past. Looks like ATI may have gotten their act together and you guys are usually right on the money and so far the vote is for the 9500 pro.

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Hmm, well my card is also ~6 months old and so I will likely be in the same situation as you are now. Let me know which video card you pick up :).

EDIT: By the way, Balex99, did you send newegg.com everything that was in the box? I would like to keep the sticker but not sure what "amount" they would take off...

Balex99

Sep 3, 2000
Update: Looks like I will not be getting a refund. Just found out they are shipping me a Gainward 64 meg 4200 with the 3.3 ns ram and ramsinks. Atleast that is what the picture shows. I just hope it works.

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Doh, I just sent ou my video card (everything :)) today before coming to this thread. If you are getting another Gainward, then I will probably wind up with one as well which was exactly what I did not want. I should have included a letter begging them not to send me another gainward arg...

Balex99, was your original Gainward card a GF4 Ti4200 64 meg non golden sample with 1 CRT and 1 DVI out?

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Antoneo:

I just recently got my Ti4200 RMA back from Newegg. I original had the 128mb Gainward Ti4200 with analog and TV-out only. Lucky for me, Newegg shipped me the Gainward GF4 AGP 8x 128mb Ti4200 with analog, DVI, and TV-out.

So far, the new Gainward has not caused me any problems. *knock on wood*

Balex99

Sep 3, 2000

Balex99, was your original Gainward card a GF4 Ti4200 64 meg non golden sample with 1 CRT and 1 DVI out?

My original card was a non golden sample with just vga out. The new one is the golden sample with vga+dvi and TV out. Ramsinks as well. Definitly an upgrade, I just want it to work.

Balex99

Sep 3, 2000

By the way, Balex99, did you send newegg.com everything that was in the box? I would like to keep the sticker but not sure what "amount" they would take off...

I sent them everything I had. I do not remember a sticker being in there so I did not send them one back.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Antoneo
Hmm, well my card is also ~6 months old and so I will likely be in the same situation as you are now. Let me know which video card you pick up :).

EDIT: By the way, Balex99, did you send newegg.com everything that was in the box? I would like to keep the sticker but not sure what "amount" they would take off...
Why do you want to keep the case badge when you don't seem very happy with Gainward?