Need a pair of 7.1 headphones for gaming

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
They're as good as any. Headphones are a very subjective thing assuming they meet specs. You really need to find a store that has these things and try them out. They can feel very different even when equal in specifications.

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
wow those headphones look nice, but my z-5500's were cheaper, I really want to try them though.

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
I'm pretty well off but not going to drop $300 on a pair of headphones that I'm probably just going to throw around. The logitech's are probably right where I want to be at price wise.

nestlewater

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
Originally posted by: cm123
http://www.psykoaudio.com/

anything less than these is worthless after you hear them...

See, I'm all up for the big headphones, but they mess up ur hair. Like what if you gotta go somewhere after you game. Can't use um'. That has been a hinderance for me and headphones, Thats why i'm stuck with mediocre earbuds and behind ear designs.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

Sounds like a bunch of marketing BS that we've heard before

But then I'd really have to try them or hear from a reviewer I trust before I start to believe this any better than what we've already seen.

As it stands now, I do not understand why we should need anymore than a really good pair of 2.0 cans and then accurate positional audio from the software side of things (which is generally the true weak link in the chain, and something headphones can do nothing to improve).

We only have two ears, we should only need two sources of sound.

Originally posted by: nestlewater

See, I'm all up for the big headphones, but they mess up ur hair. Like what if you gotta go somewhere after you game. Can't use um'. That has been a hinderance for me and headphones, Thats why i'm stuck with mediocre earbuds and behind ear designs.

If you're willing to shell out $300, ear buds can actually offer some of the best sound quality.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

Sounds like a bunch of marketing BS that we've heard before

But then I'd really have to try them or hear from a reviewer I trust before I start to believe this any better than what we've already seen.

As it stands now, I do not understand why we should need anymore than a really good pair of 2.0 cans and then accurate positional audio from the software side of things (which is generally the true weak link in the chain, and something headphones can do nothing to improve).

We only have two ears, we should only need two sources of sound.

Originally posted by: nestlewater

If you're willing to shell out $300, ear buds can actually offer some of the best sound quality.

They're probably better due alone to the fact they come with a 5.1 channel headphone amp. I don't know if they're worth $299 but I would be surprised if they're not at least somewhat better than the other offerings for 5.1 headphones out there. Legitreview.com really liked them, and they tend to have pretty accurate and unbiased reviews. The fact they beat out all the other headphones at CES to get the most innovative headphones award says a lot.

The fact the ear cups pivot allowing you to use them at either open or closed is pretty bad ass, assuming it actually works. Don't think I've ever see any cans that can go from open to closed ear, sounds very interesting. I will definitely be following these to read some in depth reviews, might even get a pair if they live up the previews and such.

octopus41092

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2008
I personally don't like surround sound headphones. You end up with more speakers in it but they tend to be lower quality than some really nice stereo ones.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
A lot of companies are starting to realize that and thus switching to actually helping the sound processing part. Razer's Megalodon and Astro's A40 for instance (and I think even Logitech's G35 the OP mentions).

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Check the Grado website. We have SR80's (@ $100.) and play COD-MW and WaW. Fantastic sound location, and they are not too tight for me (and I have a large head).

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Stereo headphones are 10000x better than surround headsets, you'll get better sound positioning with stereo as well, just grab a nice pair of Grado's or Senn's band be glad you didn't buy a gimmick.

murphyslabrat

Jan 9, 2007
for the record, most "7.1" headsets use a USB soundcard to create a more accurate positional soundscape for output to a normal 2.0 headset. That's what all the Steelseries headsets do, and the G35 as well. This is by far the better route, as true surround sound in a headset is going to have an insanely bloated price, as you are essentially paying for (number of channels/2 --5.1 = 3) pairs of headphones.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Was using the Grado headphones. Son wanted 2-way communication on game servers, so we purchased the Logitech G35's yesterday. EXCELLENT for gaming....great localization/directionality of sounds. And much more reasonable price than the 'Psycho' mentioned above.

FixedMyXfi

May 20, 2009
Originally posted by: videogames101
Stereo headphones are 10000x better than surround headsets, you'll get better sound positioning with stereo as well, just grab a nice pair of Grado's or Senn's band be glad you didn't buy a gimmick.

I agree, Don't buy into the gimmick. YOU ONLY HAVE 2 EARS

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Actually, I disagree a bit w/ 2 of you.

I have Grado's that we were using for gaming. Then I got a Logitech mic because my son wanted 2-way communication on the game servers. I could not get the Logitech mic to work. Ended up getting the Logitech G35's 3 days ago. (USB headset)

We feel they are better than the Grado's for sound localization/directionality.....IMHO. Grado's are quite a bit better for music, of course.

FixedMyXfi

May 20, 2009
Originally posted by: looper
Actually, I disagree a bit w/ 2 of you.

I have Grado's that we were using for gaming. Then I got a Logitech mic because my son wanted 2-way communication on the game servers. I could not get the Logitech mic to work. Ended up getting the Logitech G35's 3 days ago. (USB headset)

We feel they are better than the Grado's for sound localization/directionality.....IMHO. Grado's are quite a bit better for music, of course.

I see you have an X-Fi. You need to mod it before those headsets "really" work for you.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

My Beyerdynamic DT 770's are cheaper and probably have better positional audio than those, just buy a pair of stereo headphones. HD 555's, HD 515's, A700, A900 and A500 are great headphones to start with, the A500 is about #100 shipped.

FixedMyXfi

May 20, 2009
Originally posted by: looper
FixedMyXFi...

What do you mean...how so?

Thx...

Muahhaha,, Now you must read my bad literature.

Bad Literature

Originally posted by: potato28

My Beyerdynamic DT 770's are cheaper and probably have better positional audio than those, just buy a pair of stereo headphones. HD 555's, HD 515's, A700, A900 and A500 are great headphones to start with, the A500 is about #100 shipped.

CHEAPO CX300 FOREVERRRRR. When you get up to all these high end head phone stuff, the Source start to matter more and more. you'd agree it's not JUST about the speakers yes?

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
'Fixed'...

Yikes, I checked that thread...yes, I would be 'scared ****less' to do that....me, with a soldering iron in my hand...wow, that would then be considered a "WMD"...

Now, if you're talking about me showing you how to hit a topspin backhand in tennis....OK, but a soldering iron....NOT...

Thx, anyway...

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: potato28

Originally posted by: FixedMyXfi
CHEAPO CX300 FOREVERRRRR. When you get up to all these high end head phone stuff, the Source start to matter more and more. you'd agree it's not JUST about the speakers yes?

An X-Fi will drive most of those fine, at least for my HD 555's and my friends A900's it worked good.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
When you read the original post/question, he states "G35's are at top of my list"... that's the new Logitech USB headset...

This is a headset/2 way communication... think that's what he wants...not 'headphones'...