Need a new X99 board, please help!

Mar 10, 2006
Hi all,

My x99 Deluxe is acting extremely flaky and I need these issues gone ASAP. For example, I can no longer set my boot drive as...a boot drive...in the motherboard's boot order. This happened literally overnight.

In the BIOS I have to manually select which drive I want to boot from at startup.

Note that I set everything back to stock and still had no luck.

I don't have have the time to deal with an lengthy RMA process, so it's time for a new board (I will RMA this one once I have the new one in hand and then sell it).

Any suggestions? I need something that will be rock solid. Will go ASUS again if I need to, but would honestly prefer a different brand if there's something better.

Thanks!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hi all,

My x99 Deluxe is acting extremely flaky and I need these issues gone ASAP.

Should have bought an AM3+ board. Y'know, those "old" (stable) boards. ^_^

As far as X99 boards go, I've heard good things about ASRock. Though, I don't really know much about them personally - I mean the X99 boards. (I've owned 1150, 1151, and AM3/AM3+ ASRock boards, and they've all performed satisfactorily.)

Last edited:

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I've mentioned here before that Asus brand motherboards are the only ones I've ever had trouble with. After I switched to MSI and Gigabyte I haven't had one problem, but don't listen to me, just look at how many threads here and elsewhere on the Internet are about Asus MB woes.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I've mentioned here before that Asus brand motherboards are the only ones I've ever had trouble with. After I switched to MSI and Gigabyte I haven't had one problem, but don't listen to me, just look at how many threads here and elsewhere on the Internet are about Asus MB woes.

Yeah, my Z97-WS has a horrible time with reliability. I mean, it's current uptime is a measly 47 days (and counting). As is my eight year old P6T Deluxe v2 that is currently residing in my HTPC. Bad mobos. Bad. Now, go sit in the corner while I think of your punishment.

Last edited:

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
The Rampage is an awesome board and likely the "best" in terms of features/performance/overclocking, but I'll be honest they seem a bit flaky and a lot of others share that opinion online. I had to RMA my original board, the replacement was DOA, I'm on my third now, all seems well with it. I was actually impressed with my mini-itx FM2+ ASRock board enough I'll probably give ASRock a shot with my next high end build.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I recently bought an Asus X99-A 3.1 motherboard, and the damn thing had defecting VRMs which made a horrible buzzing or whining noise when using high speed DDR4 memory. Doing an RMA replacement fixed the problem.

Before this, I hadn't owned an Asus board in very long time, and I never had any motherboard issues. So maybe it's true that Asus has more issues with quality assurance than other mobo manufacturers.

But then again, I'm sure Asus sells a much higher volume than other mobo manufacturers as well..

The only reason I went with Asus this time is because their motherboards were the most compatible with my NH-D15 heatsink, and also because of their OC socket technology which had me curious..

That said, my new replacement board hasn't given me any issues at all, and it performs very well.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
and also because of their OC socket technology which had me curious...
Gigabyte & Asrock (don't know about MSI) have also started using so-called OC sockets on their X99 boards. Asus was just the first to announce it, though.

Since at present three out of five makers of mainboards for enthusiasts use custom LGA2011-3 sockets, it is highly likely that the remaining two – EVGA and MicroStar International (MSI) – will follow them soon with their own O.C. sockets.
Yeah.

DXtreme

Jun 19, 2001
I also got a Asus X99-A 3.1 motherboard recently. Solid board so far. No issues at all. At this point, will rank as one of the best boards I ever owned.

Threw in a Samsung 950 Pro. Installed easily with no headaches I've heard about with other boards.

Good Luck on the search!

Mar 10, 2006
Hi all, good news! After a BIOS update (thanks Burpo!) and lots of tinkering, I was able to get this thing to work properly. I won't need a new board after all, yay!