Need a new mattress

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
i got a new mattress a month or so ago. i went from a $3000 (retail price, paid 1/2 of that) W hotel heavenly mattress to a ~$350 mattress on amazon. i couldn't be happier too.

i knew i liked the mattress though because we bought the queen version for our guest room and it was very comfortable. i need firmer mattresses now a day due to lower back disc issues. this new mattress has made a huge difference and now i don't wake up with back pain. previously i had it every morning, but it was also because the mattress was like 6 or 7 years old.

are you a side sleeper? I am, and am just curious (always on the look out for mattress recommendations)

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
are you a side sleeper? I am, and am just curious (always on the look out for mattress recommendations)

Yeah I'm interested in the one you got too. I'd like to get a new mattress (bed, really) in the near future. I'm about 65/35 side/back sleeper.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
http://www.us-mattress.com/ is where I bought my last mattress. They have really good sales around July 4th if you can wait.

Costco if you want local.

But I would recommend to go one step firmer than you think you want. Most mattress will break in/soften up after a month or so. So get one on the firmer side so it will hold up better/last longer.
Look at the coil gauge (lower number is better) and how many coils it has (higher is better).

I got this last year.

http://www.us-mattress.com/simmons-wc-phillipsburg-lux-firm.html

I love it. Slept on a shitty mattress growing up for years. World of a difference.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

i tend to sleep on my back and side. sometimes i'll end up sleeping on my stomach if i wake up in the middle of the night. this is the one i got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTCL3JA/

it was cheaper than i thought, $270. i got the 8" one since that is the one my guest bed is. i almost went for the 10 or 12 but i didn't want it to be too soft so i ended up just getting the same one i already have, but in king.

i don't even have a box spring, it's on slats.

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
If you want a spring mattress then I would go through US Mattress. All the brands sold in the US and Canada are made in the same regional factories to specific standards. Each mattress re seller will change the name for each specific model to command the price they desire as a brand exclusive. The only time I see mattresses cheaper than US mattress is when Costco is running their mattress roadshow in the summer.

shimpster

Jul 5, 2007
I need a new mattress and was thinking of just getting a cheap $200-300 unit off of Amazon, but I've been doing some research and am starting to lean towards getting something slightly better.

There seem to be a lot of sketchy review sites for these new online mattress dealers (Leesa/Yogabed/Saatva/etc/etc) and it makes me feel like they could be a scam. All are priced around the same, they all seem to have similar websites, and all seem to be pushed heavily by these mattress review sites that, surprise, surprise, receive kickbacks for referrals and coincidentally give nearly all of them rave reviews. What is weird is that these mattress review sites seem very similar too.

Does anyone have any experience with these online vendors or have any recommendations? If I spring for an "expensive" mattress it would have to be somewhere in the $800 range. I'm also not sure I want to go with memory foam like a lot of these vendors use and would probably lean more towards an spring mattress (I want something somewhat bouncy and responsive) like Saatva offers.

herr kutz, did u make a decision as to ur new mattress?
Thanx