Need a new HSF for A64 Venice

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I need some reccomendations for a new HSF for my A64. I would like something that installs as easy as the stock one and of a similar low profile. I alreay have a nice quiet 92mm fan to go with it.

thanks for any help.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not exacly "low profile" but the SI-97A is pretty easy to install and will take your 92mm fan.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
What exactly do you mean by "low profile"? What case are you using?

If you need a smaller, lower cooler for a stock (or lightly OC'd) CPU, I suggest the Arctic Cooling Silencer 64. It is only 47mm tall, compared to 63mm tall for the XP90 and 75mm for the SI97. However, if your case can fit an XP-90, I would go with that if you feel that you need extra cooling for OCing, etc.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Might also want to try Cooler Master Hyper48 (not exactly a light cooler considering it's full copper with heatpipes) and the Cooler Master Susurro

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: 996GT2
What exactly do you mean by "low profile"? What case are you using?

If you need a smaller, lower cooler for a stock (or lightly OC'd) CPU, I suggest the Arctic Cooling Silencer 64. It is only 47mm tall, compared to 63mm tall for the XP90 and 75mm for the SI97. However, if your case can fit an XP-90, I would go with that if you feel that you need extra cooling for OCing, etc.

I am really looking for something that is no taller than the stock one, and one that I don't need to bolt to the MB.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
The Alpha PAL8150 is worth a look. It's about the same size as the stock cooler, very classy, and you simply unscrew your plastic frame from the mobo and it bolts straight down into the metal backplate like the plastic frame did. Pair it up with a super-duper-quiet 80mm fan such as this one and there ya go.

This assumes your motherboard has a metal backplate with two threaded posts, e.g. Asus. If you're looking for an aftermarket one that latches into the plastic frame, then I don't know what to suggest, but the Alpha is a cinch to install.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
But are you really better off getting one of these rather than sticking with the stock AMD cooler? I mean, I can't see the need for an aftermarket one unless you are doing some heavy OCing or . I have 2 friends that have OC'd their A64 3200+ Venices to 2.5GHz on stock cooling without a hitch. Someone on this forum has a 3000+ OC'd to 2.8 GHz on stock cooling I believe.

Check out some of the suggested units tho if you feel the need for a new cooler. Also look at the OEM AMD Opteron 4-heatpipe cooler on ebay. It looks relatively flat, uses stock mounting (duh), and has performance equal to aan XP-90