Need a new daily driver <$25k

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Alternatively, lightly used WRX in the $18k range buys a pretty nice one, and they're very versatile and robust.

Dec 26, 2007
I know this is a bit old to bump, but here it is.

I'm still looking. I've not had much free time so this has still been on the back burner for a bit. I'm also playing around with numbers to see what makes the most financial sense for me at my age as it relates to student loans. And until I resolve that (i.e. do I forego a car for a year hoping mine makes it so I can pay off about 1/3 of my student loans, OR do I get the car since I am not sure mine will make it) the car is kind of on hold. Although I was planning on getting it in Dec anyways so now is kind of that time frame to get that taken care of.

I've been looking for GTI's used on CL/autotrader/etc just to see what's out there, and last night I found a great one potentially. It's a 2010 with the sun/conv type package that I wanted, 30k miles, and under warranty still for $19k. It's basically fresh off lease according to the owners. Their email reply though threw up a few questions that others might be able to make sense of who have more experience. Here is the summary:

We are selling it because the wife least it new. She was the primary driver and bought it prior to the end of the lease. We had two choices, one to walk away from it with nothing or we could buy it and resell it. So we decided to do the second option. We have leased a new car already FWIW (a '12 Civic SI).

Now to me that sounds fishy. Buying a car at the end of the lease seems like a traditionally bad idea. Am I wrong? I'm completely uneducated as it comes to leasing and how that works (I get the basics and math but don't have a practical understanding of it from experience with it). So thoughts?

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
Yup, lease buy-out can be a big windfall for the leaser. Example: my GF's Dad has a leased Tacoma, his buy-out is $13k and resale on his Tacoma is $23-26k, stupid NOT to buy out.

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Yup, lease buy-out can be a big windfall for the leaser. Example: my GF's Dad has a leased Tacoma, his buy-out is $13k and resale on his Tacoma is $23-26k, stupid NOT to buy out.

Wait. Is this common? Why doesn't everyone lease if easy 10k profit at end?

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
Wait. Is this common? Why doesn't everyone lease if easy 10k profit at end?

It's possible, I wouldn't say frequent. Depends on make/model/local demand. And it's not 10k profit, it just helps offset the ~20k in payments over the lease.

Dec 26, 2007
Final update 1/3/13: Bought a car last night. A 2012 Honda Civic Si Sedan. Got a good end of year deal on it that saved about $4k off a GTI and OTD price <$20k. I'll throw up some pics here in the next few days.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Final update 1/3/13: Bought a car last night. A 2012 Honda Civic Si Sedan. Got a good end of year deal on it that saved about $4k off a GTI and OTD price <$20k. I'll throw up some pics here in the next few days.

I know you were looking for more "sport", but did you look at the 2013? I think Honda couldn't wash their hands fast enough of the 2012, hence your good deal. Not a bad car don't get me wrong, but that's one car they want to bury.

Oh, congrats lol. :)

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I know you were looking for more "sport", but did you look at the 2013? I think Honda couldn't wash their hands fast enough of the 2012, hence your good deal. Not a bad car don't get me wrong, but that's one car they want to bury.

Oh, congrats lol. :)

I thought the 12 and 13 cars are essentially the same? My buddy had the EP3 SI hatchback, that thing was fun to drive.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I thought the 12 and 13 cars are essentially the same? My buddy had the EP3 SI hatchback, that thing was fun to drive.

HUGE difference between model years.

Completely redesigned interior.

CNN said:
The new 2013 Honda Civic makes the prior year's model look like an unfortunate rough draft.

NYTimes said:
Despite more expressive exterior and interior styling, upgraded cabin appointments and refined ride and handling, the 2013 Civic may not be different enough to distance itself safely from the smoking crater left by the 2012 model.

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/honda/2013-honda-civic-review-video-2305.html