Need a new bed

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Does anyone here have a memory foam mattress? How long have you had it, how much did you pay, was it worth it? I need to purchase a new bed sometime this week and I've been looking around the last couple days online at Costco primarily. However, I saw this brand, Bragada. Initial reviews I've found seem favorable but I'm kinda sceptic, especially when it comes to a bed. Any suggestions ATOT? Memory foam is interesting, but expensive so I'm open to all types. My budget is $900 and I would like a queen size and I'm primarily a stomach/side sleeper. Thanks!

lizardth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
My husband and I got a Tempurpedic, and I love it! I used to be able to sit up in bed and read a book, but now we joke about comfortable-bed-itis, meaning I can't stay awake once I get on the bed. The only thing I think we have to complain about is occasionally you get hot. So if you don't like to sleep warm you may want to think about it or do a trial. I will say it is hands down the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. And my cats love it too!

As for cost we spent about 2k for a queen size (next model up from basic), 2 tempurdic pillows, and an awesome water resisitant matress cover. 0% interest 24 or 36 months I can't remember at Matress Firm.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Thanks for the links, will keep looking. Anyone here heard of Bragada? The few reviews I've read put them as a good alternative to TempurPedic.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
My memory foam mattress is somewhat firm. I am a side sleeper and often sleep in the one arm up type position. Often I wake up the next day with serious shoulder pains.

From the sleeping I"ve done, it is great if you sleep on your back, OK if you sleep on your stomach, and very poor if you sleep on your sides.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
My memory foam mattress is somewhat firm. I am a side sleeper and often sleep in the one arm up type position. Often I wake up the next day with serious shoulder pains.

From the sleeping I"ve done, it is great if you sleep on your back, OK if you sleep on your stomach, and very poor if you sleep on your sides.

Thats usually how I sleep too, what mattress do you have?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: cobalt

out of the mouth of babes...

My memory foam mattress

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I have a top of the line Tempurpedic that I got from Brookstone since they were the ONLY ones that carried this level of density of foam. The more dense (weight per cubic foot basically) the "better" it feels.

It has a super dense topper also that honestly I wouldn't have gotten but my wife wanted. I actually prefer a firmer mattress but she likes all plush and soft ones so we went that route.

We've had it for about 3 years now and have no complaints other than it cost a small fortune.

But they do offer a 90 day no questions asked return policy so that should give you piece of mind that if you don't like it at least you can return it for a full refund.

One thing to keep in mind with all/most foam mattresses that you can demo in a store, they get a insane amount of wear and tear which actually breaks them in and can make them feel softer when testing them. We both noticed that ours felt firmer than the floor model did in the store but now that we've had it for so long it's a non-issue.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I got a ghetto Walmart 8 inch memory foam mattress about 6 months ago and I love it. It was $300 for a King. It is pretty firm and I also sleep on my side with my shoulder/arm up under my head like the poster above, but I have never had a problem and find it very comfortable. I sleep great on it. No signs of wear or sagging or anything either. It always springs right back.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: zinfamous

out of the mouth of babes...

My memory foam mattress

There is obviously more than one manufacturer of these mattresses, thanks for the help though. /sarcasm

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
I have a 4-inch memory-foam topper. For the first year or so, it was incredibly comfortable. Since then, it's lost a LOT of its firmness and support, and I often find it uncomfortable. For example, if I'm lying on my back, my butt will sink all the way through the mattress topper and be resting on the mattress itself. Then, if I roll over to my stomach, my midsection will be about 4 inches lower (because it's in the butt crevice formed from sleeping on my back) than my shoulders and legs, which is quite uncomfortable. Sometimes I'll get up to use the bathroom just so the memory foam has time to spring back to life, and then it's only somewhat as firm as it is at the start.

I have no clue if my experiences would transfer to a memory-foam mattress, but there's no way in the world that I would ever buy one. The way I see it, I could try out the mattress in the store and love it, and then after a year of using it I could absolutely hate it. I have a cheap, uncomfortable mattress right now and my wife likes the memory foam, or else I'd just get rid of it.

BTW, to curb any fat jokes, I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs.

Oh, I just remembered one more thing. The firmness changes with temperature. In the winter we sleep with the temperature being 55-60, and the topper is quite firm. During the summer we sleep with it 71, and the topper is not very firm.

Here's a link to the topper I use.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: RoloMather
Don't do it. Get a regular mattress.

Any suggestions?

I'm probably going to go for one of the Serta deals at Sears that crop up every once in a while. However, most people recommend going to the store, trying out several mattresses, and then buying the one that's most comfortable. However, I would shy away from something like memory foam that might greatly change its characteristics after being broken in. Pillow-top mattresses might have the same problems, but I'm not sure on that one.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
instead of memory forma, look at latex matresses

wait.. what happened to the 50 page memory foam matress thread we had a couple of years ago?

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
have one, love it, doubt I'll ever buy a regular mattress again.

Some people apparently get too hot from them, but I haven't had that problem. I think it's heavier types who get that.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
I've have a tempurpedic classic that I've been using for over a year now, and it is the best mattress I've ever owned. Memory foam FTW!

I think I paid about $1100, but don't quote me on that. It's been a while.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
www.whatsthebest-mattress.com forums. Do a search for Bragada, they have a wealth of knowledge for mattresses.

You'll find the most popular option is DIY with foambymail/foamdistributing's polyurathane (PU) foam base (LUX or HD) or Talalay latex base in conjunction with latex foam toppers (what I'm doing) and/or memory foam toppers. The other popular option is mattress surgery, cut open the mattress, take out the cheapass PU foam/pillowtop that the big S's use and put in your own high quality latex layers (over the springs) that don't break down after 6 months. ;)

My bed was $722: 6" Lux PU foam base (hard) and 4 inches of latex ILD 32~ and 1 inch of latex ILD 20~. Getting the final layers today, I'll be posting over there with pics/review when it's done.