Need a legal copy of XP

Ticky

Feb 7, 2008
I need to install a piece of software that only runs on XP 32. It will cost 15k to upgrade to something that will work on 7. All our machines are 7. Do I have an option besides ebay?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
also if you are running win 7 pro, you do have an option of downgrading to windows xp. you just need the key and media for xp and do the install. if the activation fails (which ive done many downgrades and never had it fail) but if it does, you just call the activation number and say you are downgrading to xp

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
The right way to do this is with Downgrade Rights:
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx

I don't see it on that page, but to the best of my knowledge you can downgrade Retail licenses also...you're not limited to OEM.

We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found. Same for the "Downgrade Rights Details and FAQ" and "Understanding Downgrade Rights" pages that pop up in the resulting search. Pretty funny, actually.

Ticky

Feb 7, 2008
Ah. I have not tried XP Mode. I shall try that, I think I need to upgrade to Pro first (we use home premium, as so far it has been adequate).

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
With 7 Pro or Ultimate you can use XP Mode, a free Microsoft VM. It works.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found. Same for the "Downgrade Rights Details and FAQ" and "Understanding Downgrade Rights" pages that pop up in the resulting search. Pretty funny, actually.

Strange...works for me. You must be hitting a webserver at microsoft that's having problems and I'm hitting a different one?

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Strange...works for me. You must be hitting a webserver at microsoft that's having problems and I'm hitting a different one?

If so it's consistent because I tried a few more times from here, on another PC and from my home PC and all got missing links.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Why not just buy an old off-lease pentium 4 machine for $60? It will come with a legal copy of XP.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Just tried the link referenced above - works just fine. Requires Active-X.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Well since you didn't mention it - have you tried this
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

It's free and made just for cases like yours :cool:

i second this, it doesnt take long to get going and if you install a piece of software in the vm, then place a shortcut (via the shortcut wizard) in the vm c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu then it appears in your windows 7 start menu and you can just launch the shortcut without having to go into the vm.

quicker than downgrading pcs to XP (because youd have to reload software, join a domain, add printers...the whole shebang). if you had to spend time/resources on doing that youd burn through money in IT support time and lost productivity if you have more than a couple workstations to deal with.

Ticky

Feb 7, 2008
Just wanted to report back that XP mode worked (almost) perfectly. I'm actually somewhat amazed, it even manages to talk with the dongle correctly.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Just wanted to report back that XP mode worked (almost) perfectly. I'm actually somewhat amazed, it even manages to talk with the dongle correctly.

it's pretty convenient. had to use it at a customer site recently. they wanted us to order x number of pcs because they had flood damage and needed to get up and going quick, and didnt mention much in the way of special software

turns out their billing software isnt supported in 64 bit...so we had to use xp mode to get support. works pretty well so far.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
A lot of the manufacturers like HP, Dell, Etc... still supply XP disks for their machines.