Need a Java servlet

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
I purchased a java based secure file upload solution, and the vendor likes to use Tomcat. When I was testing the solution, I didn't really care for the Tomcat.

This will be running on Windows 2003, and needs to work with IIS 6.

I asked the vendor what alternatives I could look at it, and the rep threw out a few names such as JRun and Fusion.

What would you recommend?

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
You trying to run a J2EE solution IIS and herein lies your problem. Tomcat is a very nice free solution, I don't understand why you wouldn't like it.

If you absolutely have to spend money on your server I'd recommend WebSphere or WebLogic, although both are a lot more difficult to manage.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
So these other servlets are not free?

I would prefer not to dedicate a brand new $3500 server to a single application that will only be used occasionally. This server has two gig nics - maybe I can run tomcat on one IP address, and IIS on another, so there aren't any port conflicts?

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Originally posted by: SagaLore

I would prefer not to dedicate a brand new $3500 server to a single application that will only be used occasionally. This server has two gig nics - maybe I can run tomcat on one IP address, and IIS on another, so there aren't any port conflicts?

Tomcat won't conflict with IIS. However, if you want to run a web server on top of tomcat you'll need IIS shut down. Alternatively, I believe you might be able to make tomcat work with IIS.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Argo

Tomcat won't conflict with IIS. However, if you want to run a web server on top of tomcat you'll need IIS shut down. Alternatively, I believe you might be able to make tomcat work with IIS.

Yes, in the future I will need to run IIS webs on there as well. The vendor has a solution that lets Tomcat communicate with IIS using some type of ISAPI connector?

Btw, I haven't heard back from you about my PM. ;) Overloaded with job inquiries?

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
I did take a look at it. I'm sorry but I don't know much about IT Security positions so I don't really know what qualifications companies look for. Looks like you haven't had that much experience. The only thing I can comment on is the general format of the resume and that looks to be ok. You might want to describe your current position a little better, as in what your responsibilities are and what skills you're using.

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Yes, in the future I will need to run IIS webs on there as well. The vendor has a solution that lets Tomcat communicate with IIS using some type of ISAPI connector?
Yes, tomcat can be integrated with IIS. I know the recommended way to do it with apache is via the jk2 protocol and I believe that is available for IIS as well. ISAPI could work too but googling would be the best way to start. You could even just run tomcat's http connector on a different port (like 8080) and do http forwarding from IIS (I should hope it supports such a thing).

Something like websphere or weblogic are most definitely overkill. You only need them if you have a real enterprise class app (ie ejbs or message queues or heavy database access), not just a servlet. A good number of the major j2ee servers use tomcat as their servlet engine anyways. I'd highly recommend it myself.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Another vote for Tomcat. It's fast, simple and free. It can be a bit flakey sometimes though when you try deploying the more complicated webapps in my experience.