Need a good simple 2.0 setup

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
As I have been working from home, as many of you are no doubt, I would like to de-clutter the wiring at my desk a bit. One way to do this would be switching from some 2.1 creative speakers (which are starting to fail anyway) to a 2-channel USB setup. I would hardly use them at all, as when at my desk I am using a headset. But when the kids are playing some games at the evening, and the few times I am doing some gaming, I would like to have something decent there.

The problem is when I browse Amazon, there are tons out there, and reviews for anything I look at are all over the place.

So I thought I would ask here if anyone has any suggestions.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
You are never going to get good sound out of USB speakers. They are adequate for voice or background music. If that is all you need, then they are fine.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
My wife and oldest son have the less expensive (Pebble 2.0) on their desktop PCs.

They're pretty decent for small speakers, and only $19.99. I'm not sure paying $39.99 for the 3.0 version you linked to would be worth it though.

If you wanted something a little better than the Pebble 2.0 could do, I'd take a look at these Logitech Z130 speakers for $30 instead of paying another $20 for the Pebble 3.0: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-3-5mm-Compact-Laptop-Speakers/dp/B003CP0OT2

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The more expensive ones have a slightly larger woofer and Bluetooth (and supposedly sound a little better). Those Logitchs are probably fine, but an trying to get away from something with an external power supply, if possible.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
They are good. Had them about 2 weeks. Not tinny, with enough range to sound good enough for what I need. Minimal wires. If they last, I will consider them a good purchase.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
They are good. Had them about 2 weeks. Not tinny, with enough range to sound good enough for what I need. Minimal wires. If they last, I will consider them a good purchase.
I'm going on year 3 with these and working from home half the week and they are still going strong. And, I treat them like crap! I work on my 17.3" laptop on my bed and these are always getting kicked around and off the bed, plus the cat rubs all over them. Still going!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
For those looking for a 2.0 setup a bit more for music but closer to a $100 budget. I had the PreSonus 3.5" speakers and they honestly sounded really good for that size and price. The problem is I would often hear squealing and squelching from the speakers, like electrical interference. I tried it all, ferrite things on the cords, plugging them into a different outlet than everything else the puter was plugged into. Grounding plugs. I got the Edifier MR4 4" monitors. They are good too but the PreSonus just sounded more right, more controlled, while still providing the right amount of bass. The Edifier feel a bit more 'loose' and less-controlled.

But that goddamn squealing is gone. When you aren't playing music and just doing work on your pc that whiny squelching was mind numbing. I'd rather have a bit looser SQ than that.

Apparently the Edifier power supply is just cleaner.