Need a good end of the world type of book. Nukes, comet, virus whatever.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I'm bored and want some mass destruction and cannibalism :).

Haven't read a new one of these in awhile and need some help finding ones that don't suck.
Here are the ones I have already read

Bosse, Malcolm Mister Touch
Been awhile since I read that one. If I remember right this one was a virus and it was decent.

Griffin, Russell Century's End
Think this one was a religious one and it sucked

Hodge, Brian Dark Advent
Can't remember this one at all but I have it listed at end of the world by plauge

King, Stephen The Stand
Duh

Matheson, Richard I am Legend
Kind of fits. Last man in a world of vampires.

McCammon, Robert Swan Song
Nukes and atleast as good as The Stand if not better

Nevil & Pournelle Lucifer's Hammer
Comet and another good one

Robertson, Pat The End of the Age
Another religious one that sucked

Shute, Nevil On the Beach
Another nuke one and also a movie :) kind of bleh

Strieber, Whitley Wolf of Shadows
Real short one about 2 chicks living with a wolf pack after a nuclear war

Strieber & ? War Day
Another nuclear war one

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Have you ever read any of those ON WEED?!

Revelations makes for a good read, ON WEED!

Ever notice books like these seem longer and shorter at the same time ON WEED?! *cough*

Seriously, smoking marijuana might be a suitable, albeit illegal, cure for your desire for mass destruction and cannibalism.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
I read a book about 10 yrs ago I think the title was "Hammer of God", It had both, but I am not sure thats the title.

The main character, name was Hamnar, and he discovered the comet. Somebody around had to have read this and should help fill you in.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have a compilation book with about 20 or so short stories about the end of the world. Some are very good while others are lame.

You should also check out The Final BlackOut and maybe The Furies, A Pail of Air, Last and First Men (a very weird bizzare story) and even HG Wells Time Machine.

I had a listing of about 20 or so good end of the world books, but I don't know where it went.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: todpod
I read a book about 10 yrs ago I think the title was "Hammer of God", It had both, but I am not sure thats the title.

The main character, name was Hamnar, and he discovered the comet. Somebody around had to have read this and should help fill you in.

That was "Lucifer's Hammer". He's read it.

Try "The Third Pandemic" by Pierre Ouellette. It's a virus book, most of the population is wiped out by a bird-based virus. Very fitting given the current bird flu worries.

440sixpack

May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf

Strieber & ? War Day
Another nuclear war one

The ? is James Kunetka, the two of them did another book called "Nature's End" that was a futuristic view of the world where the environment is on the verge of collapse due to overpopulation, etc., and a strange cult is advocating a "draft" where everyone in the world takes a pill at the same time - and 1/3 of them are fatal. Pretty good book, I have both of Strieber/Kunetka's books.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

Try "The Third Pandemic" by Pierre Ouellette. It's a virus book, most of the population is wiped out by a bird-based virus. Very fitting given the current bird flu worries.

I knew somebody would know it, it was driving me crazy for a while

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
The bible: Turn to whatever part talks about the Apocalypse and skip the rest (or just google for cliffs notes) ;)

CinderElmo

Jun 23, 2000
George Stewart's "Earth Abides" is an older book, but an excellent one on a plague that wipes out mankind.

Kevin J. Anderson & Doug Beason have a book called "Ill Wind" about the end of the world caused by the removal of oil from the planet.

I'll see if I can remember any more...I enjoy these types of books a lot. :)

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
read brother in the land , it's about a nuclear war and how this boy survives and how they go about life afterwards. The author was from round my part of england so the towns are based on towns surrounding mine, but i think he renamed them in the book

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

I knew somebody would know it, it was driving me crazy for a while

Sorry, he had it right the first time. Arthur C. Clarke wrote "The Hammer of God," Niven & Pournelle wrote "Lucifer's Hammer." Two different books.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Have you ever read any of those ON WEED?!

Revelations makes for a good read, ON WEED!

Ever notice books like these seem longer and shorter at the same time ON WEED?! *cough*

Seriously, smoking marijuana might be a suitable, albeit illegal, cure for your desire for mass destruction and cannibalism.

ROFLMAO! John Stewart is teh funnay! ;) Nothing wrong with a little cannibis ;)

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
I love writing about the end of the world - you can do it in so many sick and twisted ways. My english teachers find it disturbing, yet entertaining. I have a short story around here that I wrote for Creative Writing where the teacher actually wrote "You have issues, but they're such amazingly detailed and intriguing issues that I'm going to use this as a sample"

Apparently she had a stack of angst-filled stories about male/female relations, one about homosexual relationships (I found that one to be very interesting. It captured the essence of "Holy crap, my best friend is gay and just killed himself because I wouldn't let him tap my ass") and one detailing only two minutes of time from the perspective of the pilot of a B-2 loaded with a nuclear weapon inbound to a North Korean target. The minute before they drop the bomb, and the minute after. I'll post it if anyone's interested.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: 440sixpack
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf

Strieber & ? War Day
Another nuclear war one

The ? is James Kunetka, the two of them did another book called "Nature's End" that was a futuristic view of the world where the environment is on the verge of collapse due to overpopulation, etc., and a strange cult is advocating a "draft" where everyone in the world takes a pill at the same time - and 1/3 of them are fatal. Pretty good book, I have both of Strieber/Kunetka's books.

I have read Nature's End as well and was thinking of listing it but it's not really an end of the world book.

Sorry, he had it right the first time. Arthur C. Clarke wrote "The Hammer of God," Niven & Pournelle wrote "Lucifer's Hammer." Two different books.

I've read both. I can't remember The Hammer of God very well but I thought they stop the comet before it hit so I didn't count it.

I also read the first of The Left Behind books but forgot to list it. It wasn't bad but I am not really in the mood for a 20 book series rightnow ;).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look them up when I get to work tonight and see which ones sound interesting to me.