Need a gamepad for pc!

vegal

May 7, 2011
Hey guys!
I made a thread asking about which one I should buy about a year ago.

So I finally have a bit of money for a controller :$

But I am not sure which one to get..

I will be playing GTA 4, GTA SA, Splinter cell convictions, assasins creed, need for speed hot pursuit and Batman Arkham City and lots of other games

The experience on the story mode for almost all of them is crap on the keyboard so I think I need a gamepad

Can someone recommend me one? My max budget is about $40 MAX

I prefer wireless. :) But wired would work too if the cable is abit long

Last edited:

PhoenixEnigma

Aug 6, 2011
Xbox 360 controller, either wired (plug it in and go) or wireless (need an adapter - MS stopped making them, I believe, so either used or ebay knockoff).

They're a little pricier than some of the other options, but they are very good, and the XInput support is wonderful in games that take advantage of it (and a good number of console ports do).

vegal

May 7, 2011
Thanks for that Pheonix. I was looking around and found a logitech one

I have heard that the analogue is unresponsive in some cases and cuts FPS ingame.

Some users are saying that it is faulty http://forums.logitech.com/t5/PC-Gaming/Wireless-Gamepad-F710-losing-connection/td-p/511610/page/2

The wireless adapter costs alot and I dont want to spend so much :( I will get a wired Xbox 360 controller for PC I guess

1 more question. Can I use a USB extension cable (Maybe 6 feet long) And connect it to my pc and my remote and game on my TV (via HDMI cable)
Will it loose responsiveness?

Dbdynsty

May 14, 2012
Get the Xbox 360 controller...WAY better and most games use it as their default controller anyway as far as layout goes. You cannot go wrong with it and the usb connection is already fairly long but of course you can use an extension if you need a bit more length (don't we all, lol).

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I have the wireless xbox controller for windows. Comes with receiver and works flawlessly.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Those prices match up to what we pay in the U.S. ($35-40 new). It's not too cheap, but it is as good as a nice $30 controller should be.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows comes WITH the receiver. You don't need to buy a separate controller and receiver. They've been packaged together for a while, but the receiver is still available for those who already have controllers. Price knocked down on Amazon right now.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
xbox controller. You can find sales often enough and they're really sturdy and good quality. both wired and wireless variety are great.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
XBox 360 controller because a lot of the console ports don't support ANY other gamepad (you might be able to get some to work with 3rd party software or some modifications, but is it worth saving some money?)
don't bother with any other gamepad if you can afford it.

Last edited:

vegal

May 7, 2011
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows comes WITH the receiver. You don't need to buy a separate controller and receiver. They've been packaged together for a while, but the receiver is still available for those who already have controllers. Price knocked down on Amazon right now.
I dont need to buy it seperately? :O
Just found that out!
ORdering now. Silly me!

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
you cant buy the receiver separate anymore anyway. just make sure you get a windows labeled xbox controller, as they are the ones that come with the receiver. after that, you can buy any xbox controller you want and use with that receiver.

do not even think about buying anything else. they cost good money because they are the best. great build quality, great compatibility.

ericloewe

Dec 14, 2011
I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with the 360 controllers. Just plug them in (or the receiver if they're wireless) and Windows installs everything with no problems.
My original ones (late 2007, moderate use) work like new, but the plastic is getting yellow.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
Looks like we were all half correct about the standalone receiver, its still "available" from a few online vendors, you can buy it, but I'm assuming its just leftover inventory, they aren't producing any additional units. And they're the real units from MS, not the third party versions, which there are a number of.

vegal, I think you'll be happy with your purchase. This morning I just noticed a spot on Slickdeals with an offer to save a little more at Newegg. It popped up yesterday evening, don't know if it will still work. http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/749...d:+SlickdealsnetFP+(SlickDeals.net+Frontpage)
Sorry I didn't catch this before you ordered, but there it is for anybody else.

vegal

May 7, 2011
Looks like we were all half correct about the standalone receiver, its still "available" from a few online vendors, you can buy it, but I'm assuming its just leftover inventory, they aren't producing any additional units. And they're the real units from MS, not the third party versions, which there are a number of.

vegal, I think you'll be happy with your purchase. This morning I just noticed a spot on Slickdeals with an offer to save a little more at Newegg. It popped up yesterday evening, don't know if it will still work. http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/749...d:+SlickdealsnetFP+(SlickDeals.net+Frontpage)
Sorry I didn't catch this before you ordered, but there it is for anybody else.
Thanks for that :) I already ordered off amazon :$ Thats about £22 so with this I save £3 which is about $5

vegal

May 7, 2011
LOOK what just arived in mail!!! :D
mp6Uv.jpg